BusinessObjects Board

User not able to see public folder

Hi ,

I am using BO XI 3.0 . When user log into Webi thy are not able to see the public folder. I have create a group “Finance” and a Folder “Finance”. i have given finance group access to Finance foler but still the when finance group user log in infoview they are not able to see any public folder,…Please help me find out how they can get access to public folders…

thanks,

aroranikhil (BOB member since 2005-03-21)

Hi,

It’s one of the new security concepts in Xi3.0. The top level folder is no longer transparent. I mean giving a no access right on the top level folder means you cannot avigate throgh other folders.

BR
Sebastien

thanks a lot…i gave access to the root folder but the problem now is that each group is able to see all other group. Means I have user groups like finance,sales ,HR and Folders also like finance/sales/HR now i want that only HR shud see HR folder and Finance shud see only finance folder.

So if i give root access to Finance it will be able to see HR and Sales also.

Thanks,

Apply the right only at the top level folder level :wink:

BR
Sebastien

I didn’t understand the solution…can you please tell me in detail like if i have root folder like ALL FOLDERs and the 3 fodler inside root folder. …Finance /HR /SALES .Now i want that finance group user shud see only finance folder , SALES group user shud see only Sales folder…how i can do this…

If i give access to root folder user can see all the folder inside the root folder…

You will have to break the security by navigating the sub-folders and denying access to groups or super group and giving access to required group.
Like denying access for the main group “your_company_group” on finance sub-folder and grant access to finance group.

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Have a look on this presentation I have just made at DENBOUG.

It explains you the new Xi3.0 security concepts.

You need to give to the Everyone group the ability to see objects on top level folder and apply this right only at folder level.

Then manage the rest of the security like you use to manage it in XiR2.

BR
Sebastien

Haider, this is true for XI R2, but not for XI R3.0. Sebastien gave the best solution for XI R3.0.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Andreas, I am not sure but think that Sebastien said similar thing here

The open system approach as in XIr2 by giving access to Everyone group on top level folder and managing rest in subsequent sub-folders
I couldn’t have XI 3.0 hands-on so cannot debate much on this right now.

The point is with XI R3.0 you can define Custom Access Levels, and grant rights only to the object itself such as a folder (preventing the right to be automatically applied to all sub-folders, objects within the folder, etc.). See also slide 16 of Sebastien’s presentation.

This is way more easy to implement then going into each sub-folder and breaking inheritance as is necessary if you are using XI R2.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks for the insight Andreas, will go through it and also trying to install XIr3 to have a look at the new security features.

Correct there are few changes. Now the model is really more granular. Just giving the right at the top level folder corresponds to manage the security in a closed system like in Xir2.

BR
Sebastien