BusinessObjects Board

Migrating from BO 5.1.6 to BO XI R3

Hi,

Our company is currently using BO 5.1.6. and wants to upgrade it to BO XI R3. To give you an idea of our implementation of BO 5.1.6:

• the number of BO users is about 1200
  • the number of row level restrictions (where clauses) is very high, about 2500
  • the number of reports is about 500

My main concern is the quality of the conversion. As an experiment, I upgraded some parts of the BO 5.1.6 supervisor , and from what I’ve seen right now, it converted the where clauses and other security data correctly.

However, I’m still in doubt. Experts from a company assisting us, said “it’s not possible to convert where clauses from BO 5.1.6. to BO XI”. I question that, because my own experiments showed it’s possible. Or do I overlook something?

So my questions are:

1. what are the main problems when converting from BO 5.x to BO XI R3?
  2. Are there any utilities available that can check the conversion of the 5.1.6. supervisor data?
    If not, then I’m planning to check it myself. My idea is to extract all security data (such as where clauses assigned to a group/user, universes and documents a user/group is allowed to access) from the BO 5.1.6. supervisor database. I already succeeded in doing this, using tables such as OBJ_M_ACTOR etc.
    The extracted 5.1.6. security data will be put in an Oracle table
    Next I would like to extract the same security data from BO XI R3 and put that in a table as well.
    If the conversion is successful, then both tables should contain the same data. A MINUS operation in oracle can be used in order to determine if both tables are the same.
    What do you think of this idea? If it doesn’t make any sense, what’s the alternative other than checking 2500 where clauses etc. manually?
    And more importantly, does BO XI R3 offer any utilities to read security data?(otherwise I’m not able to implement it all :roll: :wink: )

Erik11 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-03-18)

Hi,

You wrote :

the number of row level restrictions (where clauses) is very high, about 2500 

1.You must import all users and groups for successful migration of row level security.

1. Better to choose incremental process of migration

I think you can face the issues which can be easily overcome.

All the best

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

Thanks for the reply. An incremental progress of migration makes a lot of sense, a big bang means you’re asking for trouble.
BTW, is there any documentation available describing known problems when upgrading from BO 5.x to XI? I haven’t found it yet.

[quote:d9b41acbb6=“Kamalini.”]1.You must import all users and groups for successful migration of row level security.
[/quote]

I disagree. You need to create the security on the XI box from scratch as the security model is completely different. Hope that helps.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Ok thanks Zack. But could you - or someone else - give a few examples of things that go wrong?

Zack wrote:

I am agree with you about the security on the XI
Is it possible the row level security migration with out importing the users?
I have done but not made me possible .
Erik11 wrote :

You have lot of users , universes and reports are there. So,It is better to you to chose incremental process.

Go through the below threads.

Down load migration guide from here http://help.sap.com/

Thanks

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

Erik,

BO security is different in each version. When you migrate from older version to new version older version rights over ride the new version rights and you might face access issues.

You can download migration guide from Business Objects website.

Thanks
Harish

harishreddy :india: (BOB member since 2006-05-11)

You can find here a presentation of new security concepts in Xi 3 plus challenges of the migration.

Never migrate row level restriction using the import wizard from 5.x or 6.x.

The security is object centric now including restrictions. I mean you need first to create a restriction then give right on this restriction to groups.

If you migrate your existing restrictions the import wizard will split all the restrictions per users… You will have thousands of restrictions!

I’ve just done a 5.1.9 to V3.0 migration (although not on the same scale). We had 100ish users each had 3 or 4 row level restrictions on 3 universes. We did bring them across using the import wizard but as our restrictions were applied at user level anyway it was going to be split into lots of individual restrictions if we rebuilt them or imported them. So less work was the winner :slight_smile:

One important thing I found out however… go to Fix Pack 3.0.2. The restrictions don’t work on the original release for WebI reports. The users can’t even run queries if they have a row level restiction applied to them (or the group they’re in as I tried that as a workaround).

Cheers,

Mart

mart (BOB member since 2004-02-10)

Erik, You didn’t specify (or I have not seen) if reports are made in Desk-I or web-I. In the first case, I suggest you to take in consideration to convert desk-I reports in web-i reports, after the first one-to-one migration in a transient server. So because bo want to “abolish” the desk-I client, because not compatible with the live-office product line.
However I agree with mr … that the security must be re-made with the new flexible philosophie of XI.

v.pisano :it: (BOB member since 2005-03-09)