BusinessObjects Board

XI R3 - Security on Folders

we are using XI R3 and the users login using Webi to see their departmental report folders.

Question - Do I have to assign groups to both the report “All Folders” root folder and to the departmental subfolders under “All Folders” in order for the users to see the “Public Folders” and their departmental folders when they login using webi.

Situation - This is what I have done so far.

I go into the CMC, then select “Folders”. In the left pane that shows the top-level root folders I see

• Objects List
  • All Folders

Underneath the “All Folders” root I have added various Report-level folders for DeptA and DeptB like

• All Folders
    • DeptA Reports
    • DeptB Reports
      …etc

I then assign the “Groups” for each department to their associated folder - under -

Folder                       Group
   All Folders                 -- no group entry ---
   DeptA Reports           DeptA_Group
   DeptB Reports           DeptB_Group

I do not assign DeptA_Group or DeptB_Group to the root folder “All Folders”.

Then I assign the security for each folder/group combination.

When users login using Webi from DeptA or DeptB - they do not see “Public Folders” . Only when I also add the 2 groups “DeptA_Group” and “DeptB_Group” to the root folder “All Folders” can they see “Public Folders” when they login.

But all groups from the root “All Folders” cascade down into each subfolder.

So that , under this setup, I have to go into each subfolder “DeptA Reports” and “DeptB Reports” and set the groups security as

DeptA Reports        GroupA_Group - set to Schedule access
 DeptA Reports        GroupB_Group - set to No Access

DeptB Reports        GroupA_Group - set to No Access
 DeptB Reports        GroupB_Group - set to Schedule access

Is there an easier way to set up this security where I can only specify one group under each subfolder and reduce the # of groups showing under each subfolder that really don’t pertain to that group?

thoda2999 (BOB member since 2006-10-30)

This is how I have implemented our new security model.

Groups :

Report Viewers
Group A
Group B

Folders :

Public Folders
Folder A
Folder B

I have created a custom access level called ‘Gateway’ which grants view rights to the object ONLY (i.e does not cascase to sub-objects).

I set Everyone to ‘No Access’ on ‘All Folders Security’ to ensure security by default.

I then grant ‘Gateway’ rights on ‘All Folders Security’

I then grant ‘View’ rights on ‘Folder A’ to ‘Group A’, and likewise for B.

It’s disabling the ‘Apply to Sub-Object’ within the custom access level that is the key.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

This post coud help you.

BR
Sebastien