BusinessObjects Board

Bulk Delete User Documents

This tool is born from our necessity to cleanup user documents that are older than a period of time.
Gives you the convenience to delete the Personal/Inbox documents of all the users in a single shot, that are older than a cut off date.

It is a JSP version and uses BO XI3.1 SDK.
You have to deploy on your Java web/application server.

It Prompts you for
a)CMS name
b)Admin Credentials.
c)Inbox or Favorites Documents
d)A cut off date and the documents prior to that date will be displayed

Copy the folder to AdminTools war file on your Web-app server.

NOTE:When Inbox documents are opened by a user, the time stamp on the document changes, but not for the Favorites documents. Unless user saves it explicitly every time, the time stamp doesn’t change. Some users save reports in Favorites and just refresh them, may not save them always. So its important you dont delete their documents.
cleanup.zip (21.0 KB)

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

will this work with BOXI R2? and is the war file you are refering to the admin.war?

RedLineE90 (BOB member since 2008-06-12)

This is supposed to work with XIR2, as the SDK hasn’t changed much between R2 and R3.
The reason I’m asking to copy to the AdminTools.war is to make use of the BO libraries already present in that WAR file.

You can create a standalone war file if you package it with the BO libraries.
In that case you have to copy WEB-INF and META-INF folders present in the CMC WAR folder.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

Hi Sheshachala5 / RedLineE90
We are on BOXIR2 version we have our Customomization war file but we are struggling to find where we need to placed this file for successfull execution, files are execting 1.start.jsp 2. logon.jsp 3.display.jsp-- here we are getting some complilation error…I have some question:

1. Can I copy my lib folder(it has all BO liberaries file) under cleanup folder & placed it in system drive & call start.jsp so it will correctly invoke the BO liberaries.
  2. Can I copy cleanup folder under lib folder & call the start.jsp

we tried both the option but didn’t get solution- looks we are missing something.

Can you pls help us to execute this jsp corrrectly. We have very urgetn requirement on this early response wouldbe approiciated.
Regards,
Amit

sapboguru (BOB member since 2006-07-13)

Hey amitthawait,

I haven’t tested since… I actually wrote a VB app to do this similiar but wanted to give this tool a try… will try now and let u know

hm…

admintools.war is for businessobjects xi r3… cannot locate this file in the installed businessobjects directory…

tried this… getting this error:

An error occurred at line: 62 in the jsp file: /cleanup/display.jsp
Generated servlet error:
D:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\businessobjects_enterprise115_adminlaunch\org\apache\jsp\cleanup\display_jsp.java:750: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : method getUpdateTimeStamp ()
location: interface com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.infostore.IInfoObject
Date date=oInfoObject.getUpdateTimeStamp();

can anyone help?

I got this to work fine on BOE XI3.1 SP3 by simply copying the folder to

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\AdminTools

Restarting Tomcat

calling the start.jsp page
http://:8080/AdminTools/cleanup/start.jsp

did not need to recompile the .war file and all worked just fine - great little app for sure. But be aware of the note in the first post…

Users who simply open and refresh documents in their favorites folder (don’t resave them) don’t update the timestamp so the file appears to be old even though they’re using it… delete that and your the bad BO guy :hb:

paul@wil5on.com :south_africa: (BOB member since 2010-04-14)

Hi Red
I don’t suppose there is any chance of a copy of your VB utility is there?
Pretty please!
Cheers,
Sandi

SandiR :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-20)

Have you used this little app on SP3/FP3.3 by any chance? I tried to follow your instructions, but when I got to the part of ‘calling the start.jsp page’ (I opened an IE and typped in the path to the warfiles/webappas/admintools/cleanup folder) adding the ‘start.jsp’.

but I just got errors Http, etc.

Here is what I put into the Address bar:

http://:80/admintools/cleanup/start.jsp

also

http://:8080/admiontools/cleanup/start.jsp

both got Http errors.

I had restarted Tomcat prior to both. What am I missing or did I miss a step? (I just unzipped the download and put the cleanup folder into specified directory for my server installation.)

Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly?

Thanks if you can help !!!

Carol

carol.gottlieb (BOB member since 2008-10-01)

I am having this same issue. I keep getting a 404 error. I downloaded the cleanup folder locally. I extracted the folder and copied it to the \BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\AdminTools folder. I then restarted the Tomcat server. No matter what I do I continue to get the 404 error. Pls HELP!

marrigo (BOB member since 2011-08-24)

Hi we’re trying to use this tool and it appears that it only appears to work for users up through the letter D. We’ve looked at the query and we can’t see anything that would be limiting it to this and we really need to get this working so that we can move to a new load balanced environment. We have a lot of cleanup to do.

tim schulte :us: (BOB member since 2003-12-11)

I haven’t looked at this code but perhaps wherever you see a " SELECT SI_ID, SI_NAME …"

Change it to:

“SELECT TOP 200000 SI_ID, S_NAME …”

unless it already has a “TOP x” present.

Hope this helps

Atul Chowdhury (BOB member since 2003-07-07)

Does this actually delete the objects from the filestore folders??? I just used the tool to delete 7000+ objects from user inboxes, but the size of the INPUT folder did not go down AT ALL.

EDIT: I did not put this in the warfiles directory, is this the problem?

oh boy, what have i done??? the records are gone from the database but the files are still in the filestore.

Also, I ran this against production while the ‘cleanup’ folder is on the dev server, could this also be part of the problem?

EDIT 2: Files do not show in user inbox, but DO show up in query analyzer, and DO exist in FRS.

EDIT 3: color me stupid. the files are in the personal folders, not the inbox.

I’m just going to go ahead and leave you all alone now…

KimberlyJ (BOB member since 2008-10-28)

I got it to work and I’m on XIR3.1 SP3 FP 3.3. I put the folder under :\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\AdminTools

rxvera :us: (BOB member since 2005-10-11)

Kalyan - I’m assuming this scripts deletes inbox/favorite documents from the FRS as well, in addition to the entries in CMS DB?

sdeshpan :us: (BOB member since 2005-06-28)

can any one post the script for deleting log files on BO servers whose are X days older.

vk_0432 (BOB member since 2011-11-02)

This is off-topic for this thread but here is your answer.

The code below is for Windows. Change the folder path in the CD and in the Forfiles to the folder you wish to delete the old files from. The -d -30 is the number of days old to delete files. The example below deletes all files in the directory listed with dates more than 30 days ago. There are many temp folders and I do not have a list of all of them.

C:
CD "\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\Logging"
Forfiles -p "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\Logging" -m *.* -d -30 -c "Cmd /C DEL /Q @FILE"

Steve Rademacher :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-17)

Thanks Steve.

vk_0432 (BOB member since 2011-11-02)

Has anybody tried this on BI 4.0 (assuming that BI 4.0 doesn’t have something built in to do this, if it does I can’t find it :roll_eyes: )

Andy

andytheman :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-28)