BusinessObjects Board

Can we delete files from Output FRS

Hello Everyone,

Our Output FRS is filling up. Can we delete some folders and files which have not been modified for few days? All our scheduled jobs put the output files to “Unmanaged Disk” in some format (txt, xls or pdf). We do have a lot of WEBI users who make and save (but never schedule) their WEBI documents in their favorites and inbox.

So can we delete some files from the location <INSTALL_DIR>/bobje/data/frsoutput especially the ones which have not been modified for few days to ease up some space?

Any suggestions in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

edyl (BOB member since 2005-10-03)

We can delete files from OFRS.The safer procedure is to use the -prune option on the command line for the OFRS. The steps to be followed are(best performed during a period when there will be little or no activity on the server):

1. stop the OFRS
  2. modify the command line to include -prune -trace
  3. restart the OFRS
  4. navigate to the folder where your logging takes place and “watch” the log for completion
  5. stop the OFRS
  6. modify the command line to drop the -prune -trace commands
  7. restart the OFRS

Thanks,
Pragna

Pragna (BOB member since 2007-07-25)

You should not delete or add files to either the input or output FRS directly. If you do so you will more than likely create inconsistencies in the CMS database.

If there are too many instances of scheduled reports in your Output FRS, then you should manage the instance history limits through the CMC.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Hello Pragna and Cashworth,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a question for each of the suggestions.

Pragna, by adding -prune -trace, will it help me to figure out the active vs inactive files or will help me purge the directory itself?

Chashworth, when you said limiting the History limits in CMC, do you mean going to history tab of each scheduled report and deleting the old history of the scheduled files?

Please suggest. Thank you.

Every instance you see in the history of a scheduled report physically resides in the output FRS.

If you have a report that runs every day, and even if it outputs in PDF format to a managed disk location, will still keep a copy of the .rep/.wid in the output FRS as long as that instance exists.

Presumably, if you are outputting to a network/file location, you don’t want the report instances available to view in Infoview, so just change the number of instances history you want to keep.

You can do this through the CMC by changing the limits on the object.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Yes, cashworth is right. When we the similar issue i did the same thing limiting the no. of instances. also you can deleted oder instanced from CMC this will ease up space.

quiqui (BOB member since 2008-01-10)

Thank you for all your suggestions. I really appreciate you help. :+1: :+1:

I wrote this tool to cleanup user documents(Inbox/Favorites) that are older than a ‘X’ days. You can do it in a single shot for all the users.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)