BusinessObjects Board

BO folder size is keep on increasing under program files

I’m very new to BO XI and no idea about administration side too :cry:
We have installed BO 11.5 in the server.
Its showing the size - 38 GB (C:\Program Files\Business Objects).
and keep on increaing the size of that folder.

If i go individual folder and checking the size - only 7 GB
(which includes BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5,Crystal Reports 11.5, Performance Management 11.5, Olap Inteligence 11.5,etc…)

Where is the difference is coming from 38 GB - 7 GB
If that is keep on increaing, my server side system will get crash.
Please help me how to resolve this problem and even though we have lot many on my remote server desktop.

radhu (BOB member since 2009-02-12)

You need to narrow down where exactly the bulk of the files are.

My guess it’s either the logging folder, or the FileStore.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

I couldn’t find where exactly but only filestore is showing 38 GB & keep on occupying space.

and also C/WINDOWS/temp is having lots of tempraroy BO files.

like this : 17f8447d71febe1a.unw44416tmp

If i delete, will that affect any of the BO contents ?

or what will be the resolution for this?

Can you please help me to resolve this issue.

My server side BO installation folder under program files is keek on increaing size.

I couldn’t find where exactly but only BO filestore is showing 38 GB & keep on occupying space.

and also i have copied all the reports from public /Corporate folders in to my favorites folder. will that occupy space on the server?

I have very less space availble on my C drive.

If its continues,that will crash my server.

Please please help me…

You need to be a little more clear.

Is it your FileStore directory that is taking up most of the space?

Yes Only filestore is occupying 38 GB space on properties.
For more clear: i’m looking into the properties of the below folders
C/Program Files/Business Objects - 8 GB
C/Program Files/Business Objects/Business Objects Enterprise 11.5 - 34 GB
C/Program Files/Business Objects/Business Objects Enterprise 11.5 - 34 GB/Filestore - 38 GB

But still, i couldn’t narrow down where exactly i’m getting problem.

I’m very new to BO XI and i do not knowledge about administration also.
Can you please guide me the steps to handle and monitor the servers.

The FileStore is where all the universes and reports are stored.

If the filestore is growing rapidly then either :

1. Your users are created a lot of new reports
  2. You have scheduled reports that are creating new instances

Do you have instance limits set?

radhu:

In addition to cashworth’s comments about managing instances, etc, it is considered a best practice to separate your programs from the data. To that end, it might be a good idea to move the Input/Output FRS to another location on your enterprise. Here is one forum topic that discusses how it’s done:

Thanks,
John

jsanzone :us: (BOB member since 2006-09-12)

Yes. I have scheduled reports that are creating new instances ( some are crating every hours).

Do you have instance limits set? - how to set the limit set?

Is any other way to resolve this issue.

I donot have exp as a administrator.

can we move FRS to new place?

If yes…then how to do?

step by step process please :frowning:

You can change the limits through the CMC. Find the folder/report, right click, and go to ‘Limits’. You can change the number of historical instances to store there.

You can change the physical location of the FRS in the FRS server properties.

I would really reccomend either taking a Business Objects training course or getting a consultant in rather than learning on a production system!

Hi Radhu,
One other point possibly worth mentioning if you’re running low on disk space is to check the efficiency of the queries your reports are using.
When I took over our old Crystal Enterprise server, I found a number of reports with very poor queries that were running for a very long time and generating huge temp files.
A combination of setting up instance limits and working through each of the worst reports gradually brought it under control.
Also, if you’re desperately trying to reclaim disk space you could try temporarily moving your Windows page file to a different drive/partition to the filestore and temp folders and either archiving off or deleting the BO/Crystal install logs.
Not a solution by any means but it could buy you some space/time to bring the situation under control.
Andy.

andyherm :uk: (BOB member since 2008-09-26)

Many Thanks for all your comments.

From that,

1)I have planned to delete all the files in Output filestore - Will it affect any objects scheduled in CMC?

Is mandatory to have files in Output filestore?

2)I can set the limit instances to ‘0’ - how this will work in future, if i need anything for future reference?

Thanks.

Hi Radhu,
Manually wiping the output FRS folder will delete all your instances but will still leave you with references to the instances in the CMS database and therefore orphaned links in CMC/Infoview.
If you intend to clear the bulk of your instances, you’re far better off doing it through setting instance limits.
Setting instance limit to 0 isn’t possible as far as I’m aware.
Try bringing the value down to something sensible, 10-20 first depending on how many recurring schedules of a report you have and see how much space this clears off before deciding on your actual limit going forward.

andyherm :uk: (BOB member since 2008-09-26)

You shouldn’t delete anything in the filestore, if you do, your CMS database will be out of sync with the FRS. i.e. it will be referencing objects that do not exist.

As already mentioned, set limits on your scheduled reports, and clear up the instances through InfoView/CMC.

And an ongoing maintenance chore (perhaps monthly) to perform:

-prune

To learn more, follow this link: Can we delete files from Output FRS

Thanks,
John

jsanzone :us: (BOB member since 2006-09-12)

I have always cleared up failed instances within Instance Manager, setting a limit on how many instances can exist for a report and agreed with the previous poster, PRUNE!

chad.poteet (BOB member since 2006-01-26)

Many Thanks to all.

Hi cashworth,

Just i have a final question to you:

When i delete the instances through infoview - will that get reflects in output filestore?

will i regain the space in C drive once i deleted instances from infoview?

Once again thanks.

Radhu