BusinessObjects Board

Create Class and Objects Automatically

Hi
Try this tool. With help of this tool you can create classes and objects automatically in the Universe and add description to them.

Create a blank universe and save it locally. Just fill in the required information in the excel sheet and run the macro by pressing Alt+F8 and choose the macro and click Run.

If you have sub classes then just create the classes in same manner and in the end drag and drop the classes into the parent class.

Author : Gaurav
Note:

Discussion http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewforum.php?f=25
Platform : BOXI R2
Version : 1

Thanks & Regard
gauav
Create_Classes_And_Objects.xls (35.0 KB)

Gaurav_Sethi :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-09)

Hi Gauav,

Do you have a macro to create the objects and classes in BO5.1
Universe

Thanks for your update

Regards,
Santhosh

maverickee (BOB member since 2008-01-31)

You should be able to use the XI version as a starting point. Go to the VB Editor and under Tools, References change to the Designer 5 library. The only code change should be to use .LoginAs instead of .LogonDialog. Give it a try.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Dwayne,

You are fantastic :slight_smile: It worked Thanks for your reply

Regards,
Santhosh

maverickee (BOB member since 2008-01-31)

Is this tool able to add classes and objects to the existing universe? How?

snorb9396 (BOB member since 2008-03-10)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

The workflow says to create a blank universe first, but that’s not necessary. The code will prompt you to open a universe, so you can certainly pick a “non-blank” existing universe if you like. As long as the classes / objects you are adding are not duplicates, it should work fine.

This tool works like a gem but it doesn’t solve my problem 100%.

I want to import column comments from database to BO Object description.
I can create a txt/xls/csv file with table,column name and column comments
and somehow I need to import that to Class.Object description.

I have more than 140 tables in my mart and loading about 3000 definitions/descriptions would be great help.

I am sure I am not the first person who has this type of need,
if anyone has any solution for this situation, please let me know

thanks
Gabe D.

boarch (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

This maybe?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Perfect, this is exactly what I am looking for.

thanks a million

Gabe

boarch (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

awesome tool !
Is there anything to do the opposite as well?
Extract from universe all objects in an excel?

meutte :belgium: (BOB member since 2007-12-06)

ok, found it in another post:

meutte :belgium: (BOB member since 2007-12-06)

I am trying to use the tool :

But I don’t know how it works. I followed the procedure given , but classes and objects are not created in universe.

Can anyone please tell me how to use this tool. I am using BO XI R2.

Thanks
Aniket

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Hi,
Can this tool be modified to function as follows:
It should look into a particular column of a specific table and if the column is null, then it should hide the related object in the universe and if it not null then it should add \ unhide the object in the universe.

Please let me know if this can be achieved or not. I am using BO XI R2. Also let me know to achieve this what are the required components that i need to have on my server like BO SDK etc…

Thanks,
Raman

romanb4u :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

This tool gets its information from an Excel spreadsheet. It could certainly decide whether or not to hide an object based on one of the spreadsheet columns. If you are trying to get the information from an actual database table, that is possible (with ADO, for example), but beyond the scope of this utility.

As far as required software, nothing is needed on the server side. The Designer SDK is intended as client-side only.

Hi Dwayne,

In excel spread sheet i have all the information of universe, For example in one Tab has DB Connection information, 2nd tab has Tables Information, 3 Tab has Joins Information, 4 th Tab has classes and Objects information, 5th Tab has Context and Hierarchies information.

Use this Spread sheet Information can we generate a Universe using VB Macro. Do you have any code similarly like that. If you have please share it with me.

In my present situation this kind of VB Macro is very use full.

Please help me any one…

Thank in advance

Vallabhaneni :us: (BOB member since 2005-04-18)

It is certainly possible, but I’ve never developed anything exactly like that. In my opinion, building a universe is not something that should be “black boxed” like that. It is way too important to understand the data model in detail, build in terms of user requirements, etc. My tools tend to focus on easing maintenance and documentation, but not creation, of universes.

Hi Dwayne

Thanks for your reply. That’s right. I am migrating reports from Crystol to Business Objects. Here we need to build a universe also. My approach is I will take Sql Query from Crystol a report. I am planning to write a macro in Excel separate the SQL like select, where and From tables and using this Excel sheet information generate a Universe. That’s the Plan.

yes, some of the problems like traps those we need to do manually.

any one has code some thing like this please help me on this or guide me where we will get BO VB SDK Help.

Thanks in advance.

Vallabhaneni :us: (BOB member since 2005-04-18)

Hi,

thank you, it’s exactly what I need but I have a problem to run your macro (office 2007 / windows Vista).
On the line “Set DesignerApp = New Designer.Application” I have this message (in french because I’m french :wink: )

(translate in english => “Error 430, The classe don’t manage Automation or …”)

“BusinessObjects 11.5 Object Library” and “BusinessObjects Designer 11.5 Object Library” are used.

How to resolve this error ?
Thank you
JBR

PS: sorry for my english, i’m a stupid french 8)

EDIT : I resolved my problem to install BO on windows XP

JBR :fr: (BOB member since 2008-09-29)

This tool is fantastic.

Anyone know how it could be modified to do the same thing, but with filter objects instead of dimension objects?

Thanks,
Drew

CSGDrew :us: (BOB member since 2008-02-12)

I’m trying to use the Universe - Object Names & Descriptions.xls macros. I get the run time ‘430’ error on my machine (Vista + Excel 2003 SP3) - but a colleague is able to get past that on his machine. When we run GetInfo, we get the following error:

The Universe belongs to another CMS. You cannot open it unless you are connected to the same CMS from which it was imported.

As far as I know we only have one CMS.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Moira

moiram (BOB member since 2009-02-20)