BusinessObjects Board

Mass update to object names / descriptions

I did find a solution … got a new computer 8) !!! Kidding of course. I have no idea exactly what was causing the issue. All I know is that it works flawlessly now with Vista / Excel 2007. If you log a tech support case (or whatever they are called now), they can provide you with a “logging” utility that may help them debug your issue.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Dwayne,

I am getting the famous 430 error as well.

My visual basic references are ticked for “Business Objects Designer 11.5 Object Library”. I am using Excel 2003 with BO XIR2 SP4. I don’t know what I am doing wrong, If you can help that would be great.

Regards.

Arafiq

arafiq (BOB member since 2006-04-12)

Dwayne,

Great tool! It has saved me 1-2 days of work. I made the changes in object names and their descriptions in 30 minutes (including download of the utility, and reading how to use it).

One suggestion though:
It would be prefect if the utility was capable of renaming class names and class descriptions too :yesnod:

Thanks again.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

What do I do to make this work with XI 3.1 SP2?

Ah no, it’s okay, sorted.

Damocles :uk: (BOB member since 2006-10-05)

As with most of my utilities, they were developed for totally selfish reasons … making my own job easier! That said, glad you also found it useful!

I’m sure that is possible. With all the time you saved before, maybe you tinker with it, and share the results with the class :).

OK, done :slight_smile:

The result is attached. I added 1 extra sheet for classes and made few changes and additions to the code.
Universe - Object and Class Names & Descriptions.zip (20.0 KB)

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Hi,

I am working on following version of universe designer & trying to update the description of objects but giving me error as “Runtime error 13 :Type Mismatch”

univ version-12.1.0.882 [BO XI 3]

Pls give any valuable suggestions,to get rid of this error.

patneel :india: (BOB member since 2006-11-02)

BO Gurus,

Anyone pls?.

It’s giving error for line which is in bold…

Sub MakeChanges()

Dim RowNum As Long
Dim Cls As Designer.Class
Dim Obj As Designer.Object
Dim Rng As Excel.Range

Set DesignerApp = New Designer.Application
DesignerApp.Visible = True
Call DesignerApp.LogonDialog
Set Univ = DesignerApp.Universes.Open
Set Wksht = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Objects")
Set Rng = Wksht.Range("Objects")

For RowNum = 1 To Rng.Rows.Count
    Set Cls = Univ.Classes.FindClass(Rng.Cells(RowNum, 1).Value)
    Set Obj = Cls.Objects(Rng.Cells(RowNum, 2).Value)
    If Obj.Name <> Rng.Cells(RowNum, 4) Then Obj.Name = Rng.Cells(RowNum, 4)
    [b]Obj.Description = Rng.Cells(RowNum, 5)[/b]
Next RowNum

End Sub

What is the error?

Hi Dwayne,

With the help of this macro, I can extract the details without any error but even when i tried to update the definition of single object using this macro , Its giving me error “Runtime error 13 :Type Mismatch”

univ version-12.1.0.882 [BO XI 3]

Thanks in Advance

Try stepping through the code to find the specific line that is throwing the error. Then add some “watch” values to see where the mismatch is occuring.

Run time error ‘430’…Class does not support automatation or does not support expected interface.

I getting the above message at “Set DesignerApp = New Designer.Application.” I am running on Excel 2003, BOXI R2.

Please help how you people resolve it. ASAP.

And one more, ‘require variables to be declared before being used’–what i should declare. I dont know VB. hence pls help.

chaithu1983 (BOB member since 2009-05-19)

Hi, I am keep on trying with the excel sheet for this utility. But I am getting “Run-time error 430. Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface.”

I am using Excel 2003 and I have reference to Tools > Reference > Business Objects Designer 11.5 Object Library and BOXI R2

Please let me know whether i need to make any changes in VB code. (i dont have much knowledge on VB sciprt).

I searched in the forum but didn’t find anysolution for this issue.

chaithu1983 (BOB member since 2009-05-19)

Thanks, it works very well and fast on BO XI 3.1 sp2.

I also need to rename the predefinedConditions, So i added 1 extra sheet for them.

I upload this in the uploads sections.

Romain J (BOB member since 2010-07-28)

damocles - what did you do to make it work in XIr3?

olut (BOB member since 2009-08-20)

I had problems and it turned out to be a permissions issue in terms of launching Excel.

Navigate through the start menu to where Excel is located.
Hold Shift.
Right click on the Excel shortcut.
Choose “Run as Administrator”.

Then open up the Excel file and proceed as normal.

I also have the same problem, but I cannot have Administrator rights on my computer due to company policies.

Does anyone know a work-around?

I have LiveOffice v12.1.0.882 and BOXI Server is on 3.1 FP 3.3 (or FP3)

gratzy (BOB member since 2009-01-26)

works great on my setup…WinXP, sp2, w/Excel 2007

Cairmor :us: (BOB member since 2008-06-05)

This looks great…I’m trying to do a similar thing in Crystal to automate the generation of Formula Fields names and formulas. Anyone done anything like that before?

menace (BOB member since 2011-03-08)

Hi Dwayne. I need to update a lot of objects to use the TABLE option so that I can force a join to some tables. It will take me some time to visit each object and then choose TABLE and select the few tables that I want. Is there a way I can amend your utility to do this? I had a quick browse in the object model but I couldn’t see anything obvious (that worked anyway!). Thanks in advance.

Grantie :uk: (BOB member since 2004-07-01)