BusinessObjects Board

Object Descriptions - BO4 (Rich Client and WebI)

Hi All,

So users want to be able to see the object descriptions, I said just place the mouse over the object in the query panel and it shows the descriptions. But after keeping the mouse on the object for few seconds the description automatically hides.

Q1) Is there any way to show the object description some where on the query panel in BO4, so users don’t have to bother moving mouse over the object to read the descriptions?

Q2) The column descriptions might change on the database and those changes need to be made on the universes as well, is there any automated process in BO or any other tool which offers this feature which can automatically change the universe object descriptions based on the changes done to the columns descriptions?

Any help appreciated.

reena19 (BOB member since 2012-02-13)

Hi,

Here is the tool for mass updating object names and description in the universe:

I have not heard of any option for showing Object Description in Query Panel window.

Hope this helps…
:thumbsup:

AFAF :india: (BOB member since 2012-07-13)

Hi,

1. In BO XI R2, you could simply click on the “Show/Hide help on Selected Items” icon and you could see the description of the object in the Status bar.

In XI 3.1 and BI 4.0, this feature is not available and SAP claims that this is design change.

Due to the design change, the only way to view the description is to hover the mouse over the object.

If the client asks you prove it, just direct them to this SAP Note - 1280406. Also, because some client pushed for this feature, an Enhancement Request was also raised with the Product Group and the reference ID is ADAPT01144983. The request is still open and there seem been no real efforts being put into incorporating this feature any time soon.

I’m not too sure about Q2.

Hope this helps!

lucy.online :us: (BOB member since 2012-04-03)