BusinessObjects Board

How do I migrate my BO repository?

I am looking at moving my repository from an Oracle box to SQL Server. I have a test repository to trial it on first :smiley:

:?: Can someone tell me the best practice/methodology for this migration. I do not want to recreate the repository or the resource links and user commands. :!:

Will I need to recreate a BOMain key, and how will this affect 5i(ZABO) users, WebI users and FC users? :?
TIA

Eddy

Eddy Bray :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Yes, you will need to recreate your BOMain.key. Keep in mind that this repoint your security domain connection. Youā€™ll need to manually change the connections to the universe and document domains in Supervisor, by going into Tools - Repository.

As for the migration, you should be able to use Supervisor to create all the tables in SQL Server, then export all the table data from the Oracle database, and import it into the SQL Server database without any problems. Make sure you have a DBA handle all this.

I did a migration from Sybase to Oracle, and it went smoother than I expected. The only gotcha was those connections that I mentioned. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Iā€™d make sure you do a BIG test first. Iā€™ve had people try to go from Sybase to Oracle and have a great deal of trouble.

Everything goes over just fine except the reports you have in the repository. The different databases handle the BLOBs differently.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

You bet ya :!:
Thanks for the input and I will let you know how it goes.

Eddy Bray :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Steve,

Would that really matter in the case of the BO Repository? If I recollect, the largest fields are really just Varchar2(255), since the Universes and Documents are divided into chunks of 255 characters.

I would think that more of the issues will come with migrating the indexes from database to database. You ā€œshouldā€ be able to spool the files out to a flat file to load directly with a control file. It wonā€™t rebuild the indexes, but it might be just as good for a testā€¦ you can always rebuild indexes later.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Weā€™re looking to migrate our Repository from Sybase ASE 11.9.2 to UDB 7.2 - has anyone any experience of this migration?

Lee Thompson (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Actually, documents are not stored this way. Older databases that didnā€™t support a BLOB object did what you were suggesting. This is from the script that is used to create an Oracle repository.

create table OBJ_X_DOCUMENTS(X_DOC_N_ID NUMBER(10) not null, X_DOC_N_BLOCKID NUMBER(10) not null, X_DOC_B_CONTENT LONG RAW not null)

So, moving repositories is easy for everything but documents. For some databases (Oracle to SQL Server) it seems to be pretty straightforward. For Sybase to anything, I think the security and universe domains will be fine. The document domains likely wonā€™t work.

Since Eddy and Lee have hidden their email addresses, I canā€™t send the presentation that I have on this topic. If either or both want it, let me know.

Please, Steve could you send your presentation to me, too? :oops:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

So, if I am on SQL Server and I want to migrate my documents to new instance of SQL Server, I can create a blank repository on the new server, create a new BOMain key on the new server, copy the contents of the old repository tables to the new repository tables. Will this copy the actual documents to the new server?

Also, is there a way to ā€œbulkā€ export documents to a repository instead of exporting them one at a time? :smiley:

AllisonChen (BOB member since 2002-09-26)

If youā€™re going from SQL Server to SQL Server, why not just move the existing database to the new server? Wouldnā€™t that be much simpler? Donā€™t forget, after creating your new BOMian.key, you also have to change the connections to the Document and Universe domains in Supervisor.

My confusion is this:

If you are developing on Server A and testing on Server B , each with their own full instance of Business Objects and SQL Server, and you copy the database from Server A to the database on Server B, where do the .rep files actually reside? Or are they actually contained within the repository database?

The database contains pointers to the .rep documents. Iā€™m not sure in which directory the .rep files reside, but Iā€™m sure they can be moved as a batch.

Strangely enough, when I search for any report files on the BO server which I have exported to the repository, none are found. Where are the pointers pointing? Are the files converted to a different format?

Well, I was wrong. :oops: The documents are actually stored in the OBJ_X_DOCUMENTS table in the repository. So moving or copying the database will capture the documents, as well as everything else.

Thanks for your help! :smiley:

Steve
can I have the document.
My email Id nsandya@excite.com

Thanks.
san

nsandya (BOB member since 2002-10-01)

Hi steve,

We are planning to migrate from DB2 to SQL server. do you have any documents or presentation? if you have one can you mail me at ctgy9000@yahoo.com. thanks

RadN :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-28)

The stuff I have was from a client who specifically moved from Sybase to Oracle. But, it should be the same concept.

Iā€™ll send it.

Hi -

Attempting to migrate repository from SQL Server to SQL Server. When I recreate the ODBC Connection on the new server I canā€™t login using the old key I get and error. (Cannot retrieve the time reference for the security domain USR0014) The *.key has a reference to the IP in the ODBC.

When I attempt a safe recovery my ODBC connection tests fine but I get and error (No security domain exists for this connection. ADW0010).

All 50 repository tables made it to the new db. I checked OBJ_M_ACTORS and it has data. I noticed in the OBJ_M_CONNECTION table the M_CNTN_M_TYPE has a value of 1 for the cconections to the repository vs. 2 for secured connections.

Thanks

wynne :us: (BOB member since 2003-07-10)

wynne,

Did you create a new ODBC connection on your machine? In that connection, are you using drive mapping or UNC mapping? It should be UNC.