BusinessObjects Board

Copying the Repository from the old BO server to the new one

OK, what is the Repository? Is it a file/s on the BO server, is it a SQL database?

How do you copy the Repository from one server to another?

HELP!! :oops:

BORookie (BOB member since 2003-11-19)

Hello and Welcome to BOB :mrgreen: .

Did you search? We’ve answered these questions quite often.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

:cry: What a tease. I thought someone was responding to my problem. :cry:

It’s not a tease – it’s a gentle reminder to search first, and then ask if you can’t find the answer. I’m not going to answer your second question, either – because that really has been asked so many times, you’ll just have to search and read through past answers. Try using search keywords copy repository, for starters.

But as to what the repository is – that’s a big question, and a pretty basic one to understanding BusinessObjects. A good place to read up on it is in the Supervisor product manual, for one. A class is in order, as well. Another good resource is to check the FAQ in this Supervisor Forum – where, for example, you’ll see that the repository tables are documented on the installation CD, in the Freeware directory.

In essence, the repository is the “semantic layer”, a set of 50+ tables (I think that number is in the correct order of magnitude) that comprise information about users, universes, documents, rights, security, etc, via three domains:

[list]The Security Domain – information about the other domains as well as the definition of users / groups.

Universe Domain(s) - these contain the BusinessObjects universes (which are meta-models of other databases / tables).

Document Domain(s) – which contain the shared/corporate documents.[/list]
If you need more general info, I suggest reading manuals and taking classes, and then ask targeted questions here for specific questions.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

That’s just it, I did search but everything that has been posted is for people who have a deep understanding (or at least mildly deep understanding) of BO. I have no clue how this software works. This project was thrown at me and it is the most complicated piece of software I have ever worked with. I have read so much documentation and the only thing that comes close to a “step by step” guide is the “Installation and configuration guide for Windows” PDF that’s posted on BO’s tech support web site. But that only goes so far. I get it installed but nothing tells me how to copy the repository for one server to the other. I need someone or something to explain to me (like a 2 year old) how BO works. I have checked on classes and I’ve signed up for the perfect class. It is the “Installing, configuring and administering BO for server environments” class but the next class isn’t until mid-February and I need to get this project done now. I know it’s probably frustrating to explain the simple stuff, but the simple stuff for you is very complicated to me. If ANYONE has the patience to help me I would be forever in your debt.

Do you have the deployment guide? There is one whole chapter in the guide on repository and it’s chapter 5! Read the chapter and you should have a very good ideal after!

JShih (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I disagree. Did you search for posts with words from your own title…

copy repository server

It found this rather high in the list.

If you are as new to this as you say then it would be madness to go around copying repository databases from one server to another. If you can’t get on a course earlier then you will have to pay BusinessObjects or one of their partners to come in and do the work for you. It’ll cost, but if you work closely with them you can learn a hell of a lot. I appreciate you are in a bad position but you’ll be in a whole lot worse one if you don’t do this properly. The repository is central to everything you do with BusinessObjects…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Q1: Which is your source and target DBMS (Oracle, IBM UDB, etc.)?
Q2: Why do you want to move the BO Repository to another DB and/or DBMS?

Although the copying of the BO Repository DB should not be that difficult (assuming you have a DBA who deserves this job title) many things could go wrong, for example: crosslinked document and/or universe domains, configuring of the DB middleware for all BO Full Clients and WebI/BCA servers, creating and distributing new *.key file to all BO Full Clients and WebI/BCA, performance impact (if new DB is on a different subnet with high latency), etc.

Bringing in a BO expert to do the work as Nick suggested sounds like a good idea. You will be able to learn a lot if you tag along.

If you are looking for certified partners either look at BO’s offical website or take a look at the people’s signatures here, quite a few do work for consulting companies.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

But, having said that, if you do about a hour’s worth of searching and reading, and carefully follow the instructions in the thread I posted, it really is a very simple thing to do. Pay special attention to this. I see this is in the FAQ’s but unanswered. We’ll get around to that at some point but keep in mind we are all volunteers with lives and jobs :yesnod: . There is also nothing stopping anyone who particpates from periodically cruising through the FAQ’s and providing an answer or two. You may be become our resident expert on repository moves :mrgreen:

BORookie,

If your local training partner isn’t offering that class until February, you may want to look at other training partners. Check the BO website for that class. It may be offered somewhere else much sooner. Of course, this may mean you’ll have to travel, but that could be fun.

Another class that you might want to consider is the Architecture and Deployment class. I’d also recommend the Supervisor class.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Thanks for all your help. After further discussion with some higher ups in my company it looks like we might go with a consultant. I thought this was the perfect idea, because then I could learn with the consultant plus get the job done right the first time. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Pete