BusinessObjects Board

Opening universes from another CMS in XI R2

I’m getting an error attempting to open an XIR2 universe file from another CMS: “You are not authorized to use this document (FRM 00008). Details: The universe belongs to another CMS. You cannot open it unless you are connected to the same CMS from which it was imported.”

I’ve an Oracle 9.2 DB with W2003 server and I’m logged into Designer as Administrator.

How do you move universe files from one CMS to another?

zanna :australia: (BOB member since 2006-01-16)

The universe has a secured connection and so will not open in another CMS.
You could reimport the universe from the parent CMS change connection type to personal. Import the same to the new CMS and modify the connection type.

maheshwars (BOB member since 2006-01-04)

The universe connection is Secured. I’m not sure how I can change the connection to Personal. In Designer, under Tools > Connections, this option is greyed out. I can use the Import Wizard to import the universe from one cms to another, but this isn’t how I want to do this every time.

zanna :australia: (BOB member since 2006-01-16)

Import the universe again in the parent CMS.
The connection is Secured and greyed out.
Create a new connection which is shared and save the universe.
You can now open it in the new CMS.
Create a connection and make it secured.

Or export it to a .BIAR file and import it on the target enterprise when you have a “supervisor” user and connections with the same name on both environments.

Dirk

dbuitend :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-01-16)

What do you do if the original parent CMS no longer exists? We had a beta version of XIr2 that the keycode has expired on. Now we have the latest version of XIr2 installed, but we have a local .unv file that we can’t open and are receiving this same exact error.

Thanks,

Alan

ajunell :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-03)

If you have the original system database and the filestore in your system, the new CMS can point to it. Yuo could save all the universes with a shared connection and not secured.
I dont think its possible otherwise.

Moved to the Semantic Layer forum…better late than never :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi All,
I have the same problem as mentioned by Alan(ajunell).
Maheswar- I did not realy understand what you are suggesting. Can you explain me again.

Both my universes had secured connections. I can see those files. But when i open, I am getting the error. I did not save those universes for all users.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Please help me save my 3 months work.

Thanks
Sandhya

sandhya (BOB member since 2005-11-07)

You have work around, open this Universe(your local copy) with Designer 6.X and save it for all users, this takes off the security restrictions. Now open this universe in any CMS you want and change the connection to the desired one.
For this you need to have a designer6.X atleast a trial version. I have done this many times successfully.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

Hi Sheshachala5
I do not have BO 6X version. Can you suggest an alternative?

Thanks!!

try creating a dummy universe and then link this universe local copy to that. This will open up your universe but not really veryhelpful, will not allow you to edit or export etc.
This can just work as a knowledge recollector as what you did on the universe.
This is one of the serious things BO has to look into, since we dont have Offline mode anymore.

Hi Sheshachala5,
Thanks for the tip. I tried that but I get the same error "The Universe you are trying to link belongs to another CMS :frowning:

That should work, or else you can create the lost universe with the same name and save it back, try linking with a dummy universe to your lost universe.
But its not really worth, even if you are able to link it doesnt allow to edit, :?

Kalyan,
I am not able to link up the lost universe to the new one. I am still getting the same error. ‘cannot be linked. Universe belongs to anothe CMS’
If i can atleast see the definitions of my objects and sql in my derived tables that will help me a lot.

It looks like the option to open in an earlier version has been stopped in R2 - I just get a corrupt file.

Alternative:
Create a new Universe. Find the unv & unw files in the repository. Overwrite them with your old files.
Works fine!
If you have existing webi reports, they will work too, provided the name of the universe in Enterprise is the same as it was previously.

AndrewMBaines (BOB member since 2006-09-08)

Yes, the replacement trick works! I think currently this is the only way to revive those orphan unv files. Thanks for your post, Andrew!

kevinx (BOB member since 2002-08-20)

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for linked universes - any ideas?

AndrewMBaines (BOB member since 2006-09-08)

Can you provide more details on the procedure outlined above? Thanks…

reginato :chile: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

Hi,
Is it usefull to install BOXI R2 using the same cms’s name as the universe linked to.Though it’s not a nice thought while it maybe work if there are many universe facing the same problem.

megan :cn: (BOB member since 2006-10-27)