BusinessObjects Board

Upgrade- From XIR2 to XI3.0 How to import files into XI3.0?

Hi, im using SQL Server…i follow the BusinessObjects Enterprise Upgrade Guide…my XIR2 CMS name is same as my XI3.0…and i already uninstall the XIR2, the import wizard cant recognize the XIR2 CMS name, it said this name already used by XI3.0… :cry:
Copy of BOXI3 Setup.doc (252.0 KB)

ylai20 :malaysia: (BOB member since 2008-05-21)

I am not asking what datasource, instead the CMS database schema (which you were using in XIr2).
Have you given an existing schema or a blank database :?:

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

You can see my installation steps…attached file above…anything wrong?

It looks like you have given the same CMS datasource name in XI3.0 which was used in XIr2. So the import wizard says the CMS is of XI3.0.

Read the XI 3.0 install guide (pg 31) from here on setting up empty database for XI 3.0 CMS.

Is it means that for the 2nd time of choosing the CMS Database, i need to choose another CMS database which i need to create as new earlier instead of BOE11?

ciao
is it possible to export from XIR2 all users/group, objects (and so on) without using the import wizard?
I mean, i would like to do a sort of automatic export to schedule without human activity…
i guess there would be a silent command to do that…
any help?
thanks in advance
ciao
Matteo

bilux_team :it: (BOB member since 2008-01-17)

Yes a totally new blank database for XI 3.0 which should be pointed while installing the software.
Then use import wizard to copy contents from XIr2 CMS(existing) to XI 3.0 (blank CMS)

@Matteo:
This is what the XI 3.0 release notes has to say
The BIAR Engine Command Line Tool helps to promote content between different BO XI 3.0 environments. The tool gives you the ability to use scripting to automate the import and export of objects.

Thanks for the answer, i have a better picture now.
There are some question im not so clear about…like do i have to specify any CMS name for the blank database?
Actually BOE can have how many CMS name at one time? Is it one server can only have one CMS name?

You have to talk to your DBA (database admin) for SQL server to create a blank database (username/password) and use this while installing XI3.0

A BOE instance can have one or more than one(clustered) CMS.
It depends on the deployment setup, you may require just one or more.

thank you so much haider :slight_smile:
ciao

bilux_team :it: (BOB member since 2008-01-17)

Actually what is the use of clustering? Is all clusters must point to the same CMS database? How can i setup a new cluster after installation?

Clustering means two or more CMS servers working together to maintain the system database. If a machine that is running one CMS fails, a machine with another CMS will continue to service BOBJ requests. This “failover” support helps to ensure that BOBJ Enterprise users can still access information when there is equipment failure. [admin guide]

And yes, a new CMS cluster points to same CMS database and does a load balancing and failover.
Read the XIr2 or XI 3.0 admin guide for more details on this

Since i have miss the steps of import universe into my XI3.0. Now i want to open my XIR2 universe file using the Designer. I have create the connection of this file, but i cant open this universe, it said:
“You are not authorized to open this document (FRM 00008)
Details: The universe belongs to another CMS. You cannot open it unless you are connected to the same CMS from which it was imported.”

Any suggestion? Thanks!

You can use the import wizard again to copy the universe to XI 3.0

Or do a file-save as- save for all users in XIr2 and then open (not recommended though).

But the problem is i cannot use the import wizard as i couldnt choose my old cms as source and it is only detect my XI3.0 cms…and the old universe is belongs to XIR2…
However, i find a tricky solution in Opening universes from another CMS in XI R2

How about my old Web Intelligence documents…any ideas of where it been located?

They are located in the (FRS) …\filestore directory under BO installation folder (C:\program files\Businessobjects…)
But since you have uninstalled XIr2, I cannot say if it still exists.

Can you tell at what stage of XI 3.0 installation are you at?

The universe also in FRS…is in BusinessObjects11.5…\input…but im not sure how to get back the WebI documents…any extension for this file?

I have finished install my XI3.0…

To me you need to solve this issue first. Why can you not connect to the XIr2 CMS as your source? That is precisely what the Import Wizard is designed to do.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi, as what we hv discussed previously, i hv uninstall my XIR2 after installed my XI3.0, somemore dunno how i hv use the same cms database so my cms name now is same as my XIR2 cms name, and the import wizard has detected my current cms name is belongs to XI3.0, no more XIR2…

To not let this thread go on and on, I would say that if you have an XIr2 CMS/FRS backup, restore it on another windows server having XIr2 installed.
Then promptly use import wizard in XI 3.0 and copy contents from R2 to R3.
End to your setup.

And please use full words while making posts, its really annoying and difficult (hv as have)