BusinessObjects Board

New features in SAP BI 4.0

New with SAP BI (BusinessObjects) 4.0:

• Built-in monitoring of servers/daemons

• New graphical engine for Webi/CVOM

• New direct connectivity from Webi to SAP BEx queries (via BICS), no universe needed to access SAP BW data

• OLAP hierarchies now supported in Webi including new formulas

• Information Design Tool (IDT) is the successor to universe designer and includes now Data Federator technology, allowing a single universe to access multiple datasources

• Support of SAPs CTS+ Transport System/LifeCycle Management

• Support of SAP Solution Manager

• No SAP Integration Kit needed anymore

• Harmonized GUI for Crystal Reports and Webi, utilizing ribbons & tabs

• Webi, new chart types: Pie chart with depth :roll_eyes: Scatter charts Bubble charts, Box plot, Heat map, Tree map :+1:

• Server install package does not include any client tools anymore

• Server components are 64-bit applications… requiring 64-bit Server OS therefore

• New Server Service: DSL used fo accessing SAP Bex queries (via BICS)

• New Server Service for CVOM/graphical engine for Webi

• Complete Server Configuration backup now possible via CCM

• BI Mobile

• Possibly a new licensing model based on content consumers and content designers. Concurrent users and named users are still around.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I am confused by this, I interpret this to mean that there are no client tools with the server install. I was under the impression that there are still client tools. For instance, the server install package comes bundled with the Deski to Webi report conversion tool. Can you help un-confuse me. Thanks!

Nodak7 :norway: (BOB member since 2007-01-02)

Another very interesting feature which would be very helpful is Copy Paste of items between the documents. A big relief for report designers. Following is an excerpt from the official ‘Whats New’ document.:cheers:

page 32

Enhanced copy and paste
You can copy queries, variables, tables and charts from one document to another. When you copy an
object, all its dependent objects are copied. For example, all the queries, hierarchies, dimensions,
measures and variables that supply data to a table are copied when the table is copied.
Tables and charts can be copied with or without formatting or data.
Enhanced copy and paste is available in the Java interface and in Interactive Analysis Desktop.

gurmeet_singh2 :uk: (BOB member since 2007-12-14)

• The XI4.0 client, such as Interactive Analysis tool, formally known as Webi Rich Client (WRC), is still a 32-bit application for Windows.

• The Life Cycle Management is now included as part of XI4.0 installation.

Regards,
Jin-Chong

jtsai_1999 (BOB member since 2011-07-25)

BI 4.0 Client Tools is still available it is just now packaged seperately. You have to download and install a individual file set to use. It is not packaged with the Server install. Good thing, because the Server install package is LARGE.

Mr_Marvin :us: (BOB member since 2007-05-24)

Anybody got a firm release date yet. Our rep says it will be available this month (but I have heard that before).

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

SAP has announced that BI 4.o will be GA on 9/16.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Discussion on this thread. (well, except for page 19).

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Given their previous missed releases, would that be this year or next? :crazy_face:

Diane1969 :uk: (BOB member since 2007-01-18)

Has anyone here seen the universe “views”, i.e. different class folders visible, in Webi, dependant on user log in?

More importantly does it work?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Yes, I’ve seen it, and been quite impressed. It replaces linked universes, and works much better than linked universes.

(anything would work better than linked universes…)

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

(anything would work better than linked universes…)
:rotf:

Thanks Michael :).

So, if I wanted to build a “generic” universe with classes A, B, C and D.

I could then permission groups:

User group 1 to see classes A and B
User group 2 to see classes A and C

And then so on?

All the Best,

Mark.

Yes, Mark, that’s the whole idea of views. You can create a view of a universe, only exposing a limited number of folders (we don’t call them classes anymore) and objects. Then you can set security on the views, just like on universes. I have an extensive write-up on 4.0 universes here.

Thanks again Michael. I thought that was the case, its a hot requirement where I am, currently.

I have read some of your blog actually, its very nice 8).

However, that will not stop me posting in your thread. :mrgreen:

You’re such a bad boy, Mark! :rotf:

Less of a boy now, unfortunately, but yes, bad all the same :stuck_out_tongue: .

Funnily enough, I’m now working with a NY based BI architect who used to work for Claraview ;).

Interesting. Before this year, I never heard of Claraview. :oops:

LOL.

He is very good actually and a pleasure to work with, so all good…

Ever have to deal with BOBJ 6? I would rather see a quality product, and miss the dates.

BOBJ 6 was a train wreck.

tenather :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)