BusinessObjects Board

Change Report Owner

Is it possible to change the owner of a report? We would like to make it so that the Administrator is the owner of all of our scheduled reports even though there are multiple report designers.

semmons (BOB member since 2005-09-21)

Isn’t the owner of the reports the one who published it in Business Objects. Publishing the reports as Administrator in that case would achieve the result you are after.

You will probably have to send the reports to the Administrator’s inbox and then publish it.

ozbob :australia: (BOB member since 2003-05-12)

They are Webi reports, so you don’t publish them in the same way as crystal. I will keep trying and post any solution I come up with.

As in my previous email, if you want to publish the WebI reports using the same ‘owner’, the process would be as follows:

[list]Develpers develop reports
When finisshed, developers send the documents to the Administrator (send to user)
Administrator picks up documents from inbox and publishes the reports[/list]

This should work for WebI reports.

OzBob

ozbob :australia: (BOB member since 2003-05-12)

Now I understand what you meant. I tried this method and it worked great. Thanks!

one way to do it is to delete the userid from Supervisor.

All documents published by that user revert in ownership to the general supervisor that created the repository.

you can then crecreate the user.

this works in 6.5

hth

ottoman

Ottoman :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)

I’d like to do the opposite of what semmons was trying to do. I’d like to change the ownership on reports from Administrator to a specific user.

Currently in XI webi - R1 or R2

Any idea?

thanks

jacksibr (BOB member since 2005-07-26)

I’d also like to change some reports from Admin to a specific user - anyone out there have a way to do this?

BlackHorseWZ :us: (BOB member since 2008-03-03)

I have a similar issue too. We only allow admin users to publish the reports so the owner is pretty meaningless. I want the owner to be the person that requested the report in the first place. I.e. a manager gives a spec to a report writer, the report writer writes the report, the report is verified by an admin user then once signed off by the original manager, it is published.
So I want the original manager’s name to be down as the owner. Is this possible?
Also I want to carry out frequent audits, e.g. pull off a report to give to managers detailing their reports so they can specify if they want them archived/deleted etc. How can this be done?

danb (BOB member since 2008-05-09)

The only way I know of to accomplish this involves using the SDK to change the SI_OWNERID field. I don’t believe there is a management tool in XIR2 to perform this task.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

Actually there is one simple way to change ownership from admin to some user. It depends on system security. We can save report as ORIGINAL_NAME+CHANGE, then delete report with ORIGINAL_NAME. FInaly ask user to open report ORIGINAL_NAME+CHANGE and rename it back to ORIGINAL_NAME.
Unfortunately this turn to be very annoying in case of renaming 40 reports :frowning:

travian :czech_republic: (BOB member since 2007-12-05)

Hi Trivian

Could you please explain more on this? As I could not understand the point you are trying to make here. Your patience would be deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Shiva

Note: Assuming the Owner is Administrator and you need to change it to my name “Shiva”. Could you please take this as example.

shiva.tomar (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Shiva,

Travian’s point is to republish the report to corporate documents with the user’s(in your case Shiva’s) user id.

Kevin

boxiadmin :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-09)

Thanks for the response Kevin,

But how do i do it if i’m the admin??

Regards,
Shiva

If you log in as Admin and don’t already have a personal account you will need to create one. In this case call it Shiva and make sure it has permission to save reports to the public folders.

Login as the Admin and send the report to the Shiva accounts Business Objects inbox. Make sure you send a copy and not a shortcut.

Login in as Shiva. Retrieve the report from your inbox and then publish the report to the relevant folder. The report owner will now show as Shiva.

cornish blue :uk: (BOB member since 2006-08-02)

Thanks Cornish blue,

Could anyone please answer my question mentioned in the below link:

As the topics are same. I dont want to be repetitive.

Thanks for understanding.

My friends on BOB,

I am developing a Java SDK code to change the owner of a report (any report, I will pass the name) to the username that I will pass to the program. I have a question. Hope someone can help me.

I could see that there are setDescription(), setTitle() methods using which one can easily set SI_DESCRIPTION & SI_NAME of a report. However, in my case, I want setOwnerID() to be there. Is it present? Meaning, can I change the owner of a report by using setOwnerID(NewUser) ?
If yes, great I will try. If not, what are my options?

Thanks in advance,
Buddy!

Buddy :india: (BOB member since 2006-08-04)

There is no method (I believe) to change the owner ID directly. That’s somewhat surprising because I don’t see changing the owner as an exotic action. Anyway, you can change the owner by accessing the property bag directly as in this example:

iObject.properties().setProperty(CePropertyID.SI_OWNERID, newOwnerID);

thank you “my bff jill” :smiley:
I think you are right. I tried doing getOwnerID() and that did not work, so I tried setOwnerID() and as expected, it did not work either. So there is no easy way to set Owner as one would set name/description.
I think the method you suggested would work. I would wait for our environment to be available so I test it.

By the way, I have always wondered, where did you find that

iObject.properties().setProperty(CePropertyID.SI_OWNERID, newownerid);

code? I could not find it in the BusinessObjects Enterprise Java SDK!
Please let me know.

Thanks again,
Buddy!

Buddy :india: (BOB member since 2006-08-04)

Hmmm…I think I picked up on the setProperty() method of setting object properties when I started using the SDK a few years ago. I likely spotted a piece of code on BOB and emulated the method for the attributes I did not know how to manipulate. While this does work, it is much slower than calling the proper method if one is available especially for nested properties (e.g. getTitle() is faster than .properties.getProperty(…)). I used to think that was the only way to manipulate objects until I leafed through the Developer Library.

Edit
On second thought, I do recall seeing this described in the R2 Developer Guide:

http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/en/BOE_SDK/boesdk_java_dg_doc/doc/boesdk_java_dg/SDKFundamentals36.html#1040740