BusinessObjects Board

Mass change ownership over instances

Folks,
Bo Version: XI 2

We have a leaving analyst in the office who owns around 426 reports and about 377 instance belongs to these reports.

IT department refuses to change ownership of the schedules because they say it would result in failure and that would delete the recurring instance.

Is this true?

If so, is there a way to change ownership of instances other than manually? (like direct SQL on repository… -pff)

Thanks

clapton (BOB member since 2011-09-16)

When a user is deleted, any reports owned by that user (including schedules) will change to be owned by Administrator. The scheduled reports should not fail.

See this thread for a discussion on changing ownership.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks for helping.

I will definitely give it a shot with a test report.

We already have experienced the loss of recurring instances when changing report ownership without changing recurring instance ownership.

How were you changing ownership of the base report?

Normally there were two options:
-open report hit save as. (no comment)
-through SDK. But that changes the report, not the instance, that is a problem.

Since ownership changing over a report can be carried out via SDK, IT dep tells they’d do it. But this does not mean an automatic change in the recurring instance as well as they say.

That’s true, and intentional. If I create a report, you can create a recurring instance. I still own the base report, and you own the instance.

I’m actually not sure if you can change an instance that way. Normally it is not possible to change instances.

But changing the base report should not interfere with a recurring instance.

Thanks for your response.

Too bad, IT department said this based on their experience. As this application holds roughly a thousand reports, a serious crash would block the operation.

That is why they are more than cautious when such changes are required.

However, I still think that a small UPDATE SQL script on the repository database should make it.

This seems easy unless there is a procedural level integrity system within BO.

The CMS query syntax does not support UPDATE or DELETE, only SELECT.

It can be done with SDK calls.

You could create a BIAR file backup of all of the reports as a safety measure (be sure to include all instances, however).

Joe

ok, thanks.
I will give it a try and report results.

However, if you have over 1000 reports plus instances, you’ll want to create multiple BIAR backups with a limited number of reports in each (100 - 200.) In my experience, BIAR files do not handle large numbers of reports well.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)