BusinessObjects Board

BOXI Password Reset Self-Serve Utility

Author: Kalyan Tirunahari, trkalyan@gmail.com
(Thanks to Business Objects for providing the free SDK samples)

Author Notes:
Documentation is provided in the Zip file (Self-Serve Documentation.doc)

Platform:
Runs on most of the Java Application servers (Specially Tomcat 5), BOXIR2

About the code:
This is a web based application used to reset user passwords in the Business Objects XI R2 environment. Its a Self Serve, so a user can reset his own Password instead of bugging the admin for it. In case the user can’t remember his user id, he can enter his first name and Last name and the tool can search for his id based on Last/first name. The tool resets the password and sends the new password to the email address that was entered in the CMC for the user.

Features of the code:

• We reduced our Helpdesk Tickets for BO password resets to zero/month from 200/month.
• Automation of simple jobs which could save a lot of time and money
• The new password generated is sent to the email provided in the CMC for the corresponding user automatically, so it is secure and no one can steal others credentials.
• The tool doesn’t let anyone to reset the Administrator password.
• Random password generation algorithm uses Special characters.
• If the user id or the email address is not found for the specific user then it doesn’t reset the password and displays the message correspondingly.
• The flag underlying is set so the user will be prompted to change the password upon the next logon.
selfserve.zip (151.0 KB)

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

This is wonderful… Great work.

sivackumar (BOB member since 2007-08-22)

Hi,
I’m trying to use this code and i’m not getting email once the password is changed.Server where i deployed have SMTP access.

Do you know what might be wrong.

Thanks

karen (BOB member since 2003-06-18)

Kalyan,
Our XIR2 system is configured to use Windows AD.But some of our users login to the system using Enterprise authentication.I was able to change the password using Password reset utility you provided but i was not getting an email with confirmation.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karen

karen (BOB member since 2003-06-18)

Love this product

cb2SD (BOB member since 2006-08-17)

We love it too

dirmiger :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

We are installing it on Websphere today.

has anybody modified the code to also re-enabled an account after it has been disabled?

I tried the following code but did not work:

IInfoObject existingUser = (IInfoObject)users.get(0);
IUser iUser = (IUser)existingUser;
IUserAliases existingAliases = iUser.getAliases();
for (Iterator it = existingAliases.iterator(); it.hasNext(); )
{
IUserAlias sAlias = (IUserAlias)it.next() ;
System.out.println("sAlias : " + sAlias) ;
sAlias.setDisabled(true);
}

gabo

gorthous :chile: (BOB member since 2004-11-10)

Yes, we have done this. We’ll post our results when its complete.

Sorry for posting this problem , it’s a very silly problem.

I am trying the BOXI Password Reset Self-Serve Utility(Author : Kalyan Tirunahari) , but on running Index.htm page , it is displaying

Page cannot be displayed Error.
Please can someone provide me the solution.

Thanks
Aniket

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Is there a Websphere version available for the self server utility? We are switching our Web application server from tomcat to websphere.

Thanks in advance.

This should work on Websphere too.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

Hi dirmiger, did you get this working? 90% of our users disable there accounts and it would be really helpful.

thanks in advance.

malc001 :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2005-09-26)

We’re doing some final testing. I’ve directed the developer to post the result to this forum.

It’s coming RSN…

Hi,

This would be a fabulous tool to get working. Can anybody tell me how to integrate this into a .Net envirnment, if thats even possible.

Thanks,

Gina

gina :ireland: (BOB member since 2004-06-29)

The code we have is J2EE (Java). Mods to .Net is left as an exercise.

Hi, We love this utility and have used it greatly.

I was wondering if you had tested this with SP3 yet? We have converted over to SP3 and noticed that this stopped working. (It was not tested at the conversion, unfortunately, so it may have stopped working for some other reason.)

Just trying to confirm if SP3 upgrade might be the cause.
Thank you!

Few minutes later… Isn’t that just the way. As soon as you ask, you figure out the question yourself!

We have also just enabled Windows AD for all users, although we are only publishing the SSO URL to some users. So, users have two authentication profiles: Enterprise and Windows AD. I read in the documentation! provided with the tool that it does not work if Windows AD is enabled.

zoolababy (BOB member since 2006-06-27)

We’re at FP 3.6 and its working fine.

We’ve augmented the utility to allow user ID, first name/last name PLUS e-mail address.

We’ll post it here when its ready.

Hi All,

If any .Net savvy developers get this working for an IIS environment, would you consider posting it.

Thanks,

Gina

gina :ireland: (BOB member since 2004-06-29)

Have downloaded the tool and would try to accomodate the same in our environment.

Can anyone pls. guide on setting up the email configurations correctly to ensure that the email is generated & sent to concernede party successfully?

~Harish

harish.malik :india: (BOB member since 2008-07-14)