BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Thanks Dave, it did work to run Designer as the local administrator once first. After that, I could run the Excel macro just fine under my “non-administrator” account that security at our company prefers. Have a :cookie:

Duane,

Is there a copy of the universe documentor for v4.1?? If so please let me know where I can get it… :slight_smile:

Charles Killam :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

Charles, long time no see. :slight_smile:

As mentioned only a couple of posts ago, the utility should work fine against .UNV universes in 4.1 as long as you update the library references. Simply open the macro, select Tools and then References and make sure the proper version of the BOBJ library files are marked.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Well, the coding part has always been my weakness. Where do I find the designer object library?? I am not a rocket scientist in this space:)
Sorry about the DUH factor:) Thanks

Well, when I get the macro open and go to Tool, the reference choice is grayed out?? :frowning: BUMMER…

I downloaded the XIR2 version from the first post and updated the library reference to BI4.0. I ran it against a simple BI4 universe and it seemed to work, so I am attaching it here on this post.
Document a Universe BI4.zip (45.0 KB)

where is the dll located for the BO 14 library…I’m missing the reference in my VBA but can’t seem to find the right dll…

rpatel18 (BOB member since 2007-08-14)

ok, I think I found it now but now I’m getting this error:

Faiulure in DocumentUniverse()
Runtime error ‘430’ class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface

rpatel18 (BOB member since 2007-08-14)

This is sometimes fixed by running Designer at least once as Administrator on your computer.

I’m getting this error too and running Designer as Administrator didn’t fix it. Other ideas?

2spots :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-29)

Thanks Dave,

Could you please point me to the right Library file for BO 4.1 ?

I am having difficulty in running the macro.

The error I am getting is :

VBAProject - 430: Class Does not support Automation or does not support expected interface.

Note: Used Designer.dll in

\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86

Many thanks.

cipherk (BOB member since 2012-07-26)

I’m struck with the same error what ‘cipherk’ has got, has there been any success here ? And would the version of the MS office matter here ?

Thank you all.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

I think you are trying to run this utility against a UNX universe. If this is so forget about it.
This and other great automated scripts using Excel will not work against the UNX universe.

di652 (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

I finally got this to work.

Yes, I had the same VBA 430 automation error when tried to execute the macro. Here’s the trick.

Before you run the spreadsheet, log into the designer ( preferably with Admin rights ). DO NOT CLOSE the designer application. Then open the spreadsheet and try running it. I didn’t had to modify any of the lists in ‘References’.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

Hello,

I use BO IDT 4.1. When I enter all the elements on connection dialog box, I have the issue :
Cannot access the repository (USR0013)
and in details :
“[repo_proxy 13] SessionFacade::openSessionLogon with user info has failed(Unable to connect to cluster @ebsboasdev01.samse.fr:6400 to retrieve CMS member list. Locally cached member list not present. Logon cannot continue.(hr=#0x80042a01)”

Did it happen to anybody ? What is the solution ?

Thank u

nb38

newbie38 (BOB member since 2016-08-04)

Thanks for the sharing the file.

This is the first time I am using the file. I receive the following error-
“VBAProject- 430:Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface”

Appreciate your time and support!

Nivi

Nivi s (BOB member since 2012-05-11)

Did you ever resolve this? I had this same issue and it got shelved but now its up again and I would really like to document a universe like I can with UNV files.
Seems that MACROS really don’t work with the new and garbaged IDT :nonod:

But, I would really like to be wrong on this one if anyone has insight!!?? :idea:

The challenge is that unx universes have a completely different format than unv universes. The Designer SDK that is used to get the information for unvs will not work with unxs.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the same information for a unx is through the Semantic Layer SDK, which is a Java only tool, so you can’t use it from Excel.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Values for cardinality and joins in spread sheet
cardinality
many to many = 4
many to one = 3
one to many = 2
one to one =1

joins
full outer = 4
right outer = 3
left outer = 2
no outer = 1

Got to love search bringing me back to a 2008 post

Mike Murray :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-23)

Any way to get an automated version for the 4.x unx files?