BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

No, it won’t work with UNX universes. For that you need to use the Semantic Layer Java SDK - it’s not available for .NET.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

This one works perfectly fine for BI 4.2 in Windows 7.
But I am getting some errors while working on Windows 10 with office 2016.
Has anyone else faced the same issue and is there any solution?

Thanks in Advance!

bibhabasu (BOB member since 2017-06-08)

You may have to “register” the Designer type library - it doesn’t automatically happen with the Client Tools install any more. To do this, open a command prompt and navigate to the win32_x86 folder in the BO install. Run the following command:

designer.exe \RegServer

The universe designer will open like it does when you run it from its icon and you won’t see anything special. Close it when it comes up.

The other issue you might be running into is that designer is a 32-bit application. It will not work with a 64-bit version of MS Office.

-Dell

Hi
i use idt
i cannot find the excel program to extract meta data from idt
where it is
thanks a lot

tbcnfpt :fr: (BOB member since 2004-12-15)

There isn’t one. There is no .NET SDK for the “Semantic Layer” (IDT), it is available for Java only. I’ve done some work with it and it’s not too difficult, but it is different from the COM-based Designer SDK that is used with .unv universes.

-Dell

Hello,

Is there a “Document a Universe” file to IDT?

Thanks much!

moons :us: (BOB member since 2007-11-08)

If you’ll look at the responses in this thread you’ll see that there isn’t one. Because the Semantic Layer SDK is only available for Java, there’s no way to do this in Excel like was possible for the UDT.

-Dell

Thanks for quick response hilfy! Is there a way we can document IDT? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

moons :us: (BOB member since 2007-11-08)

It’s possible to write a program using Java and the Semantic Layer SDK that will let you document .unx universes. I have written code to do this and write the info to a database. Unfortunately, the code belongs to one of my clients, so I can’t share it except for a snippet here or there. However, I can provide guidance for how to use the SDK to get what you need.

-Dell

Well, I DID stumble upon something that will help you generate this kind of “excel” file.
I found it on the website of
www.BICLEVER.com

For BI 4.1 SP5 it works, really well.
They provide a “windows program” ( exe file ) that lets you connect to a UNV universe, analyse it, export the analysis to excel
Another one will connect to UNX universes
A third one will let you connect to QueryBuilder. You can use (and create) “query templates”, run them and … export the answer to an excel file.

No, I did NOT find tools to run thse things from within excel.
the tools on biclever site will use your locally installed “BI client tools” and their library.
did not test this with 4.2 client tools (yet), but worked very well on 4.1 SP5 (which is old, I know, upgrade to some version of 4.2 is ongoing )

And yes, “my” excel being 64 bit probably won’t talk well to the 32 bit client tools from 4.1

RensH :belgium: (BOB member since 2007-06-18)

The tool you found won’t work with 4.2 SP4 and newer unless they’ve recompiled it with the new version of the SDK. In 4.2 SP4 SAP replaced all of the old security libraries with more secure newer libraries. So, anything written with an earlier version of the SDK will not be able to connect to the newer versions of BOBJ.

-Dell

You most likely will not. The SDK framework has shifted from VBA to Java.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

UNXpert may help for at least the use case where you want to:

• Extract UNX Object SELECT/WHERE/NAME/DESCRIPTION
  • Modify in bulk, these properties in Excel
  • Upload/Merge Visually Compare changes and push them back to the CMS

(Yes, its free)

Atul Chowdhury (BOB member since 2003-07-07)

I think you may document universes (UNV/UNX) via the restful semantic API. You may use it even from excel. A startpoint :

https://blogs.sap.com/2016/11/27/bi4-restful-sdk-excel-content-of-an-universe-sample/

SuKa

SuKA (BOB member since 2018-10-20)

However, not all of the information about a universe, especially a .unv universe, is available through the RESTful Web Services SDK. A lot of this depends on which version of BOBJ you’re using as well because SAP is adding to what’s available in the RESTful SDK with each service pack.

-Dell

Anyone know if there is an updated Excel file to document SAP BI 4.2 Support Pack 5?

Many thanks in advance!

indy (BOB member since 2004-04-08)

I found the one Dave Rathburn placed on here. I receive an error of titled ‘Failure in DocumentUniverse()’:

Any suggestions on how to run this through the error message?

indy (BOB member since 2004-04-08)

On the machine, have your Admin log into the Designer application importing the universe. Without closing the designer run the excel macro using the same admin credentials. See if this makes any difference.

Thanks.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

I am also facing exactly the same issue. Does anyone found the solution to resolve it?
VBAProject - -2147467262: No such interface supported

I am using BI 4.2 SP7 Patch 3 on Windows 10 machine.