BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Can you help me with macro on how to find the class path of the objects to have it under the ‘Objects’ tab. THis helps me in the metadata process.

I have it in C, and I’m looking to embed this in the macro.

static void PrintClasses(Classes classes, String path)
{
foreach (Class theclass in classes)
{
String path1 = path + “/” + theclass.Name;
Console.WriteLine(
path1
+ " contains " + theclass.Objects.Count
+ " objects and "
+ theclass.PredefinedConditions.Count
+ " conditions");
PrintClasses(theclass.Classes, path1);
}
}

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

I just recently downloaded this macro for first time use. I receive VBAProject - 430: Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface. I have the following references checked: Visual Basic for Applications, Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library, OLE Automation, and Microsoft Office 14.0 Object Library. This is Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010; Excel Version 14.0.6129.5000 (32-bit). Does the utility work with my version of excel?

dsivley (BOB member since 2011-07-18)

Hi Dwayne,

i get the following error when i try to excel the universe.
VBA project -429 Activex component cant create objects

Thanks,
Indhira

indhira :india: (BOB member since 2010-10-01)

How do I suppress code from prompting objects with @prompt in select statement ?

smartyamy :india: (BOB member since 2012-11-27)

I also got Compile Error: Can’t find project or Library. and Compile Error: Type mismatch for that line. This may be too late to help you, giggles7840, but I discovered that you have to have both the SDK and Designer installed on the client from which you’re running the macro. I only had the SDKs. And then the Object library you need appears in the References. And it’s a really cool tool :slight_smile:

KSG

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

Any idea as to whether this will work with BO XI 3.1 SP2??

I am running the macro on Excel 2010 and it throws the error VBAProject - 430 Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface.
I have both Designer 6.5 and BO XI Designer installed on my machine. I have also selected the reference Business Objects 12.0 Object Library in VBA on Excel.

Thanks,
Nivin

nivin (BOB member since 2011-06-07)

I also have the SDK installed (it’s under Client Components, Developer Components during the install process). That may make a difference.

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

Hi,

Check this universe Documentor for XIR3.1 and 4.0 and the best thing is you can get the specific information about your all the universes on server in one click.

arnaeem (BOB member since 2013-02-03)

Wow! Thank you for this last item, no fuss no muss, dictionary delivered in one afternoon!!

:lol:

pattinyc :us: (BOB member since 2008-09-09)

Unfortunately the util in the link also does not work with BI4 IDT (unx) universes :frowning:

SandiR :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-20)

Hi All,

In case anybody has experienced problems with making ‘Document a Universe (XIr2).xls’ work with BO4 - I’ve managed to make it work with BO4 on a 64bit Win7 Office2010 desktop. The main problem was that macros in Excel could not find the right object library.
Here is the fix:

1. Excel may open with error due to missing libraries when running on pc with ‘unsupported’ BO version (above XIR2)
    This can be overcome by going to Excel >> Developer >> Visual Basic > Tools > References.
  2. “References - VBAProject window opens”
  3. Here indicate the BO Object Library or BO Designer Object Library that is installed on local PC
  4. Press OK. Save the project and try to reopen ‘Document a Universe (XIr2).xls’

Other problems that I’ve encountered - In case of any VB errors or Excel hangs ensure that all related applications are closed: Excel and BO Designer and their processes are not hanging in task manager.

I have successfully documented *.UNV universe but I haven’t tried to document UNX universes.

Hope it helps
M

mike_k (BOB member since 2006-08-18)

Hi,

This utility has been a great handy tool for quite a while with my experience using version 3.1.

Is there are a similar utility for version 4.0 on this forum? Please redirect me to the appropriate link if one exists.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Thanks…

bobjfan45 (BOB member since 2013-10-28)

After migrating to a new server all documents and universes were moved. Now the documentor only sees 331 docs instead of around 1200 docs. Any idea how this can happen?

HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)

Hi,

I’m looking for in google an excel macro documentation for Universe Designer 4.0, but i dont found.

Can you share the file comment below?

Regards,

Cerussi

fcerussi (BOB member since 2009-01-27)

Please check the Bobs download area.

HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)

Hi, does anyone know if there is a similar Excel macro for documenting a 4.0 universe?

Thanks.

Judith Dotson :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

You can use the version 3 macro against version 4 UNV files but not UNX files. What you need to do is open the macro and change the references to the newer libraries. For example, if you open the macro I think you will see that it references Version 12.0 for XI 3 and version 14 for BI4.

The VBA macros hosted in Excel will not work against a universe created via Information Design Tool however.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

It appears that there may be a little more to making the conversion for BI4.1. I was able to use the Excel Universe Documentation for BI4.0 but I am getting errors with BI4.1.

I am getting the following error: Run-time error ‘430’: Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface triggered by

Set DesApp = New Designer.Application

I have updated the library for the BusinessObjects Designer Object Library to version 14.0.

:?: Has anyone been able to get the spreadsheet to work with BI4.1?

Edit:I found that I was able to run the spreadsheet if I ran it as an Administrator on my machine. This poses all kinds of problems as that ID doesn’t have access to Business Objects to log in to Designer. It also poses a problem as the universe is saved under the regular user ID’s data.

I think if you run Designer at least once as Administrator it clears this up. After that the Excel macro should be able to launch the application.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks Dave, it did work to run Designer as the local administrator once first. After that, I could run the Excel macro just fine under my “non-administrator” account that security at our company prefers. Have a :cookie: