BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Yes, I saw that sub() has been used couple of times in Dwayne’s code.
I get this error when i try to run all the version(Xir2, 6.5 and 5). . Is anything wrong on my PC? or is it for everybody.Any ideas dwayne

Thanks,
Brawn

brawnbrawn (BOB member since 2008-03-05)

Try going into the vba editor of Excel, then under ‘tools…references’ ,make sure you have checked ‘Business Objects Designer Library’. Then try running it. I hope this helps.

Chris_K :us: (BOB member since 2003-01-10)

Hi Dwayne,

Do you also have a similar macro which can be used to document a report.

Thanks.
Manish

manishdarak (BOB member since 2006-03-29)

For universe objects, try this … List objects used in a series of reports
To document more about a report, look here … http://lyontechnologies.com/free_stuff.htm … for the documentation add-in.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi,

When i tried to Document a universe.

i am getting the following error

Failure in ListObjects()

VBAProject- -2147417851: Automation error
The server threw an exception.

universe version : XIR2

Can any one please help me in this ?

Ramprasad (BOB member since 2008-01-25)

Any chance that the description on an object is extremely long … like more than 1,024 characters?
Try changing the line of code that says this…

Rng(RowNum, 4) = Obj.Description

… to this

Rng(RowNum, 4) = Left(Obj.Description, 1024)

what do the following mean in the documenting excel in Objects tab:
Security Access Level(0)/Can be used Result(True/False)/Can be used Condition(True/False)/Can be used sort(True/False)/Show(True/False)

Thanks
Shruti

shruthi (BOB member since 2008-02-25)

All of those are various properties of the object as set up in the universe. If you open a universe and look at the properties tabs (there are several) you should be able to figure it out. :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dwayne Hoffpauir,

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the Macro code,still i am getting the same error.

Thanks,
Ram

Ramprasad (BOB member since 2008-01-25)

I can only suggest that you step through the code, and report back exactly which object, property, and value is causing the problem. I may be able to offer a solution with that information.

Dwayne,
I used the download for 6.5 and it worked great for the first universe I tried. But when I run it against a much larger universe, it gives me a "Failure in ListObjects(): “VBAProject 7 - out of memory” error. Do you know of a way to get around this? Does it mean physical memory on my PC (it is rather old).
Thank you so much, Linda

lindacaron :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-16)

Hi

I get the error:

“Compile error: Can’t find project or Library”
with this part of code highlighted:

For this how can i include the business objects library ?

Adv. Thanks
Raghu

rpothineni :india: (BOB member since 2008-01-02)

Might the discussion here explain it?

You do have Designer installed on the machine, correct? In the VB Editor, go to Tools, References and be sure the proper library is selected. If that doesn’t explain it, might you have more than one version of Designer installed on the machine?

Hi everyone,

I have some troubles to run this document generator.
My configuration is the following:

• Business Objects: 6.1
  • System: Windows 2000

I am using the excel version 6.5 and i got this error after clicking the push button “Document a universe”, as my VBA knowledge is not so bad, i have track the debug, and it appears that it’s just blocking at the first interesting line of the code: Set DesApp = New Designer.Application

This is the error I get:

and the references I am using in my VBA:

I have only one Application Designer 6.1 installed

I have checked the MDAC (2.7 Refresh) etc… and i have looked into the web, but I can’t find the solution…

Thanks for your advise

Ps: It gives me the same error with the word document generator… and the compilation of the vba runs correctly

fred2602 :belgium: (BOB member since 2008-05-22)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

V6.1 was one of the buggiest releases ever, so this may just be another “symptom” of that release. That said, there is no reason to have the BusinessObjects 6.0 Object Library selected. Only the Designer object library is used by this utility. Since the original was done with 6.5, you might try de-selecting even the Designer library (then maybe save, close, re-open Excel), then re-selecting the Designer library.

Just a couple of ideas.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have tried your way, but still getting these errors…

And thanks for the info around 6.1, as this version has been implemented by our payroll provider… I understand why they want to upgrade their clients to XI in the near future :slight_smile:

Try starting with the v5.1 version instead of the v6.5 version. Just a thought … grasping here.

Already tried :wink: but thanks

I am also having the same problem with the “430 Class does not support …” error. I am on XI r2 sp3. I can run it on some of our PC’s but not on all. We are all on the same version of XIr2 but also use Crystal and Xcelcious. I opend a case with BO tech support on this yesterday and they sent me a program (Modules.exe) to show what DLLs are loaded by applications to see if there are any differences between the machines where it will work and those where it won’t. It may have something to do with the order that our products were installed. I won’t get a chance to check it out until next week but I’ll post if I find a solution.

Has anybody else had any luck with solving this problem?

DOTJake

DOTJake :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-07)