BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

You do have Designer installed on the machine, correct? In the VB Editor, go to Tools, References and be sure the proper library is selected. If that doesn’t explain it, might you have more than one version of Designer installed on the machine?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi everyone,

I have some troubles to run this document generator.
My configuration is the following:

• Business Objects: 6.1
  • System: Windows 2000

I am using the excel version 6.5 and i got this error after clicking the push button “Document a universe”, as my VBA knowledge is not so bad, i have track the debug, and it appears that it’s just blocking at the first interesting line of the code: Set DesApp = New Designer.Application

This is the error I get:

and the references I am using in my VBA:

I have only one Application Designer 6.1 installed

I have checked the MDAC (2.7 Refresh) etc… and i have looked into the web, but I can’t find the solution…

Thanks for your advise

Ps: It gives me the same error with the word document generator… and the compilation of the vba runs correctly

fred2602 :belgium: (BOB member since 2008-05-22)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

V6.1 was one of the buggiest releases ever, so this may just be another “symptom” of that release. That said, there is no reason to have the BusinessObjects 6.0 Object Library selected. Only the Designer object library is used by this utility. Since the original was done with 6.5, you might try de-selecting even the Designer library (then maybe save, close, re-open Excel), then re-selecting the Designer library.

Just a couple of ideas.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have tried your way, but still getting these errors…

And thanks for the info around 6.1, as this version has been implemented by our payroll provider… I understand why they want to upgrade their clients to XI in the near future :slight_smile:

Try starting with the v5.1 version instead of the v6.5 version. Just a thought … grasping here.

Already tried :wink: but thanks

I am also having the same problem with the “430 Class does not support …” error. I am on XI r2 sp3. I can run it on some of our PC’s but not on all. We are all on the same version of XIr2 but also use Crystal and Xcelcious. I opend a case with BO tech support on this yesterday and they sent me a program (Modules.exe) to show what DLLs are loaded by applications to see if there are any differences between the machines where it will work and those where it won’t. It may have something to do with the order that our products were installed. I won’t get a chance to check it out until next week but I’ll post if I find a solution.

Has anybody else had any luck with solving this problem?

DOTJake

DOTJake :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-07)

I have resolved my “430 Class does not support …” error. I had also been having problems with getting all the way through the Import Wizard and was instructerd (by Bus Obj tech supprt) to uninstall all my Business Objects, Crystal, and Xcelcious reports desktop applications and re-install them in a specific order (Crystal reports, Then Bus Obj client tools, then Xcelcious). Apparently there my be conflicting DLLs. This fix for the Import wizard also fixed my ‘430’ error.

I’m on XIr2 SP2 and Crystal XI.

Hope this helps.

DOTJake

DOTJake :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-07)

Where can I find the description for the numeric values brought back in the cardinality and outerjoins columns?

Mike Murray :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-23)

Mike, those should be detailed in the “Object Browser” of the Designer SDK. While you have your Excel file open, go into the macro code and click the Object Browser menu option. I think that’s the correct text. From there you can search for the various cardinality or other values and see how they are assigned.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

It’s also in the SDK documentation. Take a look at the object model diagram (OMD), because the “enumerations” are included on the high-level diagram pages.

thanks found the values.
Once again it is a great tool!

Hi all

After downloading and opening the excel sheet I double clicked on Document a Universe Button then it opened a page and i saw this

Private Sub DocumentUniverseButton_Click()

Call DocumentUniverse

End Sub

what is my next step? how do i go from here to document the universe

rajesh_tns (BOB member since 2008-06-18)

Do you have designer installed on your machine? It requires it and normally when you press the button the log in for designer will appear

yes i have BOXI installed … i .e i have designer installed… on my machine…

as soon as i click it its opening a vb page

rajesh_tns (BOB member since 2008-06-18)

Open the workbook, then press Alt-F11 (opens the VB editor). Go to Tools, References, and look for a Business Objects Designer library to be selected. What does it say (what version, etc.)? Go to Debug, Compile VBA project. Any error messages?

How do I obtain this Excel file? Does it work with XI R2?

viewlakes (BOB member since 2004-01-28)

Look at the start of this topic for both downloads and additional information. :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

How can this code be modified to display the unique ID of an object?

jason_west :us: (BOB member since 2008-01-22)

There is a hidden property (cleverly) named .Id (Obj.Id) that you can add to the utility as another column.