BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Sweet! Thanks mann.

jason_west :us: (BOB member since 2008-01-22)

Thanks Dwayne! Works Great!! :smiley: :cookie: :mrsbob:

eye_candy :us: (BOB member since 2005-03-18)

Thanks for this great tool.
Is it possible to document Object Level and Row Level Restrictions also.

mukul.jain :india: (BOB member since 2005-10-26)

[quote:741c53dfc4=“mukul.jain”]Thanks for this great tool.
Is it possible to document Object Level and Row Level Restrictions also.
[/quote]

Yes, but not with this tool. Those restrictions are stored separately in the repository, not as part of the universe itself.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Can that be extracted using CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS or there is something else.

mukul.jain :india: (BOB member since 2005-10-26)

[quote:ddb340bf69=“mukul.jain”]Can that be extracted using CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS or there is something else.
[/quote]

I believe there is some sample Enterprise SDK code here on BOB relating to universe restrictions. Try to search, and if you can’t find it maybe someone else can suggest keywords to use.

Hi Dwayne Hoffpauir,
Even I got the same error but my problem was different.
[b]
Failure in ListContexts()

VBAProject- -2147417851: Automation error
The server threw an exception. [/b]
In my Universe we have about 8 to 10 context. But when I try to document the universe everything looks fine except the context.
When I document universe it shows only 2 contexts.
Please help me with this issue.

Thanks,
GNK_BO.

GNK_BO (BOB member since 2007-07-17)

Is there anything unusual about the joins in those contexts (like really long SQL)? Otherwise, I can only guess that the universe itself is corrupted. Can you try deleting the contexts in the universe and re-creating them? Or maybe re-import a clean copy of the universe? Or try the utility on another machine?

Hi Dwayne Hoffpauir,
Thank you for your response.
Well we do have few sql queries which are big in the joins. For instance we have few complex joins in the universe.
I will try your other options and check with that options too.
Thank you for your help.
GNK_BO.

GNK_BO (BOB member since 2007-07-17)

To get this to work in Business Objects XI 3.0, it looks like you just have to update the project references to point to the “BusinessObjects Designer 12.0 Object Library”.

Dwayne, can you post the XI 3.0 version? Or alternatively I can send you the file to post. Thanks in advance.

RufusLancaster :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

Not sure another version is needed. Changing the library seems to only be needed if multiple versions like XIr2 AND XI 3.0) are installed on the same machine. I updated the description in the first post with that information.

Thanks Dwayne.

RufusLancaster :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

Hi Dwanye, I was having the same problem - I am receiving an error message when I try to run the ‘Document a Universe’ for XIr2.
The message I get is 'VBAProject - 2147417851: Automation error. The server threw an exception.

I updated the code as you suggested on the board as I believe I have object descriptions longer than 1024. I am still getting the error.

Any suggestions?

Sarah_Helpme (BOB member since 2006-11-09)

After it errors, is there SOME partial data on the Excel tabs? Also, try stepping through the code line-by-line (F8 key in the VB Editor). Knowing which line is throwing the error may help figure out why.

I am returning results which is why I’m confused. It looks like the error is in the ListObjects, the table which the error is showing pulled all the objects in the table.

Is it possible to do this document a universe process in BO rather than using Excel?

nonyup (BOB member since 2008-01-07)

Probably, but it’s easier in Excel. Plus the BO client (Desktop Intelligence) is being retired and therefore Excel has longer life.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I was just thinking how awesome it would be to combine Dwaynne’s process of documenting the list of objects used in a report and taking it 1 step further with this by adding on the actual table and field names that are used for each object in the universe(s) in a report…

nonyup (BOB member since 2008-01-07)

If someone knows how to do that and create a template pass it along to me after, I could use it… I maintain a list manually!! :slight_smile:

Hi,

I tried the ‘list objects used in a serious report’, but when I tried to document a report I am getting the ‘Run time error 13’.
Used BO 5.1, Universe 5.1.

Please help any one.

Thanks.

latha08 (BOB member since 2008-04-09)