BusinessObjects Board

Wish list for new release of BusObjects & Webi

More feartures in the “Categories” feature. Hate how you can’t assign new categories to docs already in the repo.

Matt Minyard :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Per my posting in the V6.0 thread . . .

I’d love to be able to resize dialog boxes in BO, particularly formula editor, variable editor, grouping, etc. It’s just too small a space to work in!

Also, how about being able to use the arrow keys to move the cursor between cells and columns?

jcaparula (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

:arrow_forward: Code for doing scan and repair. Whether its SQL, PL/SQL, t-sql, whatever. Having this would allow automatically scheduling a scan and repair.

:arrow_forward: Privileges handled differently. Maybe something similar to the way privileges are handled in a database environment. For example you have object privileges and system privileges. This privileges are granted to a group/role or directly to a user. A user could belong to multiple groups/roles. If any privilege is granted, the user has that privilege regardless of the groups/roles they have.

:arrow_forward: The property tabsheets for formatting Tables, Crosstab, Charts could be reorganized. New users, who may be more familar with MS Excel, have difficult time changing property settings in BusObj tables, crosstabs and charts

Bill Fox (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Ahh but you can. I’ll answer that…well…not here. Somewhere else. Gimme a minute…

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

I agree. I just hope people keep in mind that V6 is starting Beta now. They’re looking at quite a long time before these suggestions will make it into the product.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

OK. For now it is here but will be moved to the faq’s shortly.

Some of the things suggested will be there

:arrow_forward: Variables in WebI
:arrow_forward: Multiple Data providers in WebI
:arrow_forward: Rep to XLS (90% sure)
:arrow_forward: Save As v5
:arrow_forward: ACL type document security. (e.g. You can edit that one, but you can only refresh the other one.)

From what I’ve seen, I think we’re all going to be pretty happy with it.

I noticed that this forum has a voting mechanism for polls. Would it be helpful to have a consolidated wish list that folks cast votes on?

Love it!

Right now we don’t have any control over the query BO generates. Would like to see (… wish list… :smiley: :!: :!: ) a capability wherein we can specify the hints etc…

Anjan Roy (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Two new options I would like to see are:
The ability to suppress blank pages from printing. If you create a cross tab report that can have some sections span multiple pages and other sections that only span one page Business Objects will force blank pages to fill the report as wide as the widest group.

The ability to lock objects on the report. I have used other tools that when you get an object where you want it you can Anchor it, that way you will not move it by accident when you are adjusting other objects.

ddecross (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

One of the very first modifications listed is: clean up dp’s!

I would like a facility to clean up older versions of reports. It’s all very well for it to work from here on out. How about the millions of reports already built?

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

Yes that would be great. I’ve been stumbling around the forum admin panel and don’t see any way to configure the polls except at the board level and there, the only option seems to be to specify a limit on the number of poll options that can be offered. I’m sure when Dave reads this he’ll chime in :slight_smile:

Well, you’re absolutely right! I may have lots of ideas floating around in my head but if I don’t have a techsupport login or access to someone who does, they are irrelevant. HERE, anyone can make suggestions. We also all probably support people with good ideas and can pass them along as well. I’m going to help keep this thread active :slight_smile:

[Bill: One of the moderators apparently edited your post rather than quoting it in a reply :oops: … I apologize. We’re all still learning the new format. Dave]

You can set up a poll in the Off Topic area! You can set up the questions and the answers…and how many days you want it to be active for! :mrgreen:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

The way that I deal with this in the current system is to scale my document up to 300% or 400% and then make the adjustments to the alignment. It can save tremendous wear and tear on the eyeballs :shock: !

MikeMcErlain :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-08)

That was one of the reasons they started the KX, was to be able to “eavesdrop” on their customers as they talk about their products. I imagine we’ll have a few lurkers here once the word gets out… :wink:

BusinessObjects does have what they call their “CAB”, which is short for Customer Advisory Board. Their role is to provide feedback on what direction the product should take, what features to focus on, what’s most important, etc. I have it on good authority that the ability to export to Excel :roll: was number one on a recent wish list. :rotf: Sarcasm aside, this will make a lot of folks very happy if it does come to pass.

Most anyone on the listserv knows my opinion of this :)… but here it goes again. This time from a different point of view, however.

I was really surprised to hear that this feature is likely being given serious consideration. From a marketing point of view it probably makes sense… give the customer what they want and all that. But from a business standpoint, it’s not that smart.

Who’s going to buy 1,000 BusinessObjects licenses if they can buy 100 licenses and push everything out with Excel? Think of a typical Webi installation today. You have a small percentage of report writers, and a much larger percentage of report consumers. Why even buy a license for the report consumer when you’ve already paid for Excel? :roll:

Suppose you’re a fortune 500 company with 20,000 employees. Suppose you combine 100 BusObj end user licenses with a Publisher licence. Now you have the ability to refresh reports, burst them to Excel, and email them. No client license required. Just saved a bunch of money on training too; everyone knows how to use Excel, right? :slight_smile:

On the other hand, maybe BusObj had this in mind when they increased the price of BCA by 10X without adding any new features.

I bet if we took a poll :smiley: we would find out that most of the larger installations here fall into something along these lines as far as report creators vs. report consumers. Why would BusinessObjects - or any company for that matter - consider eliminating 90% of their own market?

As I said, Steve is not the only person I have heard say that an option to save to Excel is coming. I just can’t belive it’s true.

So while this is not exactly in the spirit of the “wish list” topic, I think that it bears some consideration when we’re talking about the option to save/export to Excel. It might happen… lots of folks seem to think so… but it will be an interesting development on several fronts if it does.

My opinion, of course. Or should I say “my rant, version 2”. :smiley:

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

:arrow_forward: Supervisor SDK to enter my 1728 row limits (or am I missing something?)
:arrow_forward: Supervisor view that shows a user’s effective (consolidated) security profile
:arrow_forward: In Supervisor, define Group / User variables, like
set BOUSER_SECURITY_GROUP = ‘1022’
:arrow_forward: More accurate Cartesian product detection
:arrow_forward: Allow WEBi users to define their own ‘joins’
:arrow_forward: Linked Universe that retains the Kernel’s class/object sequencing
:arrow_forward: Linked kernel … more than one level of linking
Go :mrgreen: Go!

Ron Smith (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Hi Ron and Welcome!

There is a really neat insight posted at the techsupport site. I downloaded it and use it to report on consolidated security profiles. I made a few modifications to the original insight to fix a few errors in application names and such…simple stuff…and posted those back in a comment on the original insight. Along with that I posted a report I made on security profiles with little alerters to change the text of the permission to green or orange for enabled or disabled. Didn’t account for red (hidden). I like to show people things so they’ll ASK about them :-). I hope you have a techsupport login. If so, you can get the insight. It is called “Creating an easy to use universe on the Repository Security”. I tried to paste a direct link in here but it would only get me as far and the front page of the KX.

They had alot of good ideas, when the KX came out. The current managment team is really good, but isn’t focusing on the KX as the end-all forum for everything. At least it seems that way.

As for the CAB, I’m not sure they even had one this year. They’ve had a really tough time getting clients to travel to these events, so they’ve concentrated on getting the feedback directly.

I know they didn’t have a Parnter Advisory Board. My guess is that they are so far along with v6 that more input right now wouldn’t make any difference. I’d bet they start up again next year after V6 gets a nice installed base.

That’s one of the irritating things about the KX… you can’t refer someone reading a post to another post, because the URL is useless. :roll_eyes: Here the URL is actually fairly readable; viewtopic.php?t=xxx means view that topic, viewtopic.php?p=xxx#xxx means view that range of posts, and so on.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)