BusinessObjects Board

How do I assign a new category to a document?

:?: I’d like to assign a new category to a document without exporting the document to the repository? Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

:idea: The only way to assign new categories to existing documents is through Webi. The document owner can use the ‘Document Properties’ button to assign new categories. Select the first category and hold down the key to select more. A General Supervisor can assign categories to documents regardless of ownership.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Cindy,

I’m not 100% sure of this, but if it’s a scheduled document, I think you can add a category by opening up the document properties in the BCA console and doing it there. If it’s not a scheduled document, I don’t know of any way to do that.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Cindy,

You cannot assign categories to a document unless it has been exported to the repository (assigned a Document ID). The categories are tracked in a special table in the repository, linked to the Documents by their IDs.

You can, however, use the SUMMARY fields that most MS files have. You can apply: Title, Subject, Author, Keywords and Comments.

Perhaps that will make due for you until the export. You can search by these fields, and I believe they are even exported the repository when it is later uploaded.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks to everyone who is responding to this but…I goofed. This was INTENDED to be in the faq’s. I’m going to move the question and parts of your answers over there.

Please check out the faq suggestions in each of the forums and help to provide answers if you get a chance. We’re all working to get those finalized!

Cindy

could you please elaborate on how a GS can assign a category to a existing report in the Supervisor module?

Regards
Urs

Urs Aeschbacher (BOB member since 2002-09-02)

It really is exactly how I said above…

Hit the ‘Properties’ button for the document
Pick a category

Make sense :smiley: