BusinessObjects Board

URL Warfare?

This started out as a reply to this thread but I think it better in the About BOB than General Discussion.

Google results just started giving me forumtopics.org today. I didn’t notice until I tried to copy a link to a post and the URL was not right.

com

org

Takes you to the same posting on each of the com/org sites. Hover your mouse over the paper icon to the left of “Posted” and look at the URLs they give you

The URL on the com address version will take you to the right place. The one the org site version will only take you to the thread.

I see the Google friendly no sid on the com version too. So I’m surprised that the org site is cmoing up in my search results.

The search was
https://www.google.com/search?q=business+object+audit+detail_type_id++23+24&aq=f&oq=business+object+audit+detail_type_id++23+24&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l2.30306&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And the result was the last item on page 1. the top three answer on page 2 were also from the .org version.

Incidentally, forumtopics.net is now available. You outlasted the squatter :evil:

So three items

1. Wierd that google is sudenly giving me a different site when identical content should make them equally good search results and why would it change from the .com to the .org version now?
  2. The .org version does nto appear to be running the same phpBB as the .com version - or at least it has different processing rules. (the pending server move either is a good opportunity to address this or makes messing with it right now a pain)
  3. .net TLD is available.

kbrazell :us: (BOB member since 2003-08-19)

.org results should not be coming up. I don’t think I’ve done anything different to the domain configuration, but I will check.

forumtopics.net may not be visible, but it’s not available. Someone still has it.

Domain name: forumtopics.net

Registrant Contact:
stijl.com
Scott J. Garrabrant ()

Fax: 
584 Hornblower Lane
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Administrative Contact:
stijl.com
Scott J. Garrabrant (domain@stijl.com)
+1.9412246402
Fax: +1.5555555555
584 Hornblower Lane
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Technical Contact:
stijl.com
Scott J. Garrabrant (domain@stijl.com)
+1.9412246402
Fax: +1.5555555555
584 Hornblower Lane
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Name Servers:
ns1.vzoa.com
ns2.vzoa.com

Creation date: 11 Feb 2006 14:52:16
Expiration date: 11 Feb 2014 19:52:16

So until the domain expires (if it’s allowed to expire) it’s owned by the “other guy” which is fine.

I will see if I can look into the .org mixup.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Ugh, he’s a squatter alright.

He’s sitting on 458 domains (by register phone number)
http://www.webboar.com/whois-phone/%2B1.9412246402

And according to this site he’s got 607

Yeah, I had not checked whois, I’d only seen that he didn’t even have it served. If he’s not serving it right now it may skip his attention to re-up. Is “Expiration date: 11 Feb 2014 19:52:16” on your calendar to remind you to check whois again?

When you clicked my Google search link, did you also get .org results? I have a sort of love/hate relationship with search engines. When they start optimizing my results I have to switch until they forget (what they think are my preferences) because their idea of “optimize” and mine never seem to match. I think it comes from using the same user ID (and the same home IP address) to search for work things and personal things. The search engines don’t know the difference and they use my anime and science fiction author search requests to flavor by SQL search results.

I just re-checked that search and I get far different results now. I guess because I had clicked it, that first .org has moved up to the second spot from the top. A new result from the .com site has appeared at position 6 and appears to be far more relevant (but alas unhelpful to me presently). The page 2 .org results have changed too. Only one of those remains and it is dropping down in ranking.

In other news, forumtopics.info is available.

kbrazell :us: (BOB member since 2003-08-19)