BusinessObjects Board

Send pdf reportname changes extra id/instance number add?

Problem:
I schedule/send reports via XI3 in pdf format to mailbox user.
Receiver get the reports,so far so good but title of the pdf-file changes like:
ReportforAccountmanagers x3A 14439.pdf
Next report will be ReportforAccountmanagers x3A 14440.pdf

It looks like its sending an id or instancenumber also…
How can I avoid this id/instance in the title??

Thanks!
Ferdy

ferdydrenth :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-09-09)

Did you figure this out? I have the same issue. I have recipients that require specific file names.

I am using %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME%.%EXT% as my files “Specific Name” in my publications Destination. All of my pdf attachments are then emailed with FileName x3A 12345.pdf where x3A 12345 appears to be the document instance number.

I need these files to be sent as just FileName.pdf

Doug Y (BOB member since 2002-09-16)

Trying to figure this out as well. I haven’t been able to find a way to remove the appended instance SI_ID either. Wondering if there are undocumented %asdf% placeholders that could be applied here?

crystal01 :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-30)

SAME PROBLEM HERE. ANY IDEA?

BOnd007 :india: (BOB member since 2009-08-11)

Just posted issue on another thread before spotting this one :oops:

I can confirm I’m having same problem and I’m on XI 3.1 FP 1.6

Anyone logged a ticket with SAP?

Edit:

Further to my last I have raised a ticket with SAP and they have recognised it as a known issue, but as yet haven’t raised an ADAPT as they are unsure how to fix it at this stage.

This is the explanation I got as to why it’s occuring:

My thoughts… if this is by design, they need a new designer, as this clearly inconsistent with what %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME% does with a “standard” scheduled document.

Hope this helps.

The Emu :australia: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

I have an open case with SAP on this. I was told a few months back that this was by design to maintain unique report names. They had me submit an enhancement request with a business case for this requirement. I will check in again and see if this has now been recognized as an issue.

I understand that unique names make life easier within XI, but try explaining this to a client that is receiving reports via email attachments.

Yeah that’s just a poor cop out by SAP… particularly when this is what the “automatic” feature is supposed to do.

I’d chase that up with them to help getting a fix gather momentum, as I don’t buy for one minute that they don’t know how to fix it.

The Emu :australia: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

Looks like this issue has been assigned ADAPT00940631 in their system.

Hopefully enough customers require this same enhancement to convince them to implement this change.

If you haven’t done so already, please open a case and reference this ADAPT. The more users on board, the better the chance of getting this resolved.

Thanks…

Is there a way to have the filename based on the filter parameters?

craiggsmith (BOB member since 2009-06-01)

Not that I am aware of. Could you be more specific?

We are setting the “Destinations” in our publications with multiple file attachments to “Deliver Document(s) as Attachment” and then “Use Specific Name”.

The available placeholders for this are:

Title
ID
Owner
DateTime
Email Address
User Full Name
Document Name
File Extension

Since our email attachments require the Document name and file extension, we use: %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME%.%EXT%

The %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME% is what BO appends the instance number to that causes my issue.

In publisher, we tricked ours by setting the “user full name” to the filtered parameter we wanted in the subject of the email. Our reasoning is that they dalready know their name, but they didn’t know what Project the data was for.

twatson (BOB member since 2008-10-07)

Thanks everyone. So far I think I’ve been able to get it to work by mapping the filter variable to the user full name, but I can’t get anything to work completely due to some server setting.

Got it working now, great, thanks!

Could you provide some more detail on the workaround you implemented?

Sure. This is probably more than you need but let me recap everything:

My need was to automatically create a monthly report for each country in our database; the output was to be a PDF on a file server, all in the same directory. So I created a publication using the monthly report itself as the basis and created a separate report to pull a list of all the countries. I selected this as the source of the Dynamic Recipients, and I mapped the Country field to the Full Name field (I could have used email as well since I’m not emailing it). In the Personalization screen I just set the Report Field equal to the Country field, and selected the Country field in the Dynamic Recipient dropdown. Then in the Destinations screen I set the file name equal to %SI_USERFULLNAME%.%EXT% plus a few other qualifiers.

I’m having one problem getting the reports to generate correctly though, but I have been told it is a known bug with publications that should be fixed by the end of the month. I’m also having some issues with the report that pulls the list of countries (recipients). It seems this gets corrupted by the publication and I have to reload it to the server. I have yet to look into this.

I hope this helps.

Not sure if this will help, and pretty sure this is not the best answer, but:
-we have a tab in the report that has the distribution list, and how it relates to the data on the other tabs.
-we purge all queries except the query that contains the distribution list.
Perhaps doing one of these will help?
Trish

twatson (BOB member since 2008-10-07)

Does anyone know if this has been fixed,

I have same issue, I can get the trick to work by using the username or email address as the file name via dynamic recipients,

but now I want to publish about 300 reports all as xls files without any dynamic recipients, so am stuck with the default placeholders i.e.

Title
ID
Owner
DateTime
Email Address
User Full Name
Document Name
File Extension

Regards

Andy

abductee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-09-05)

Hello dear community,
Does anybody found a solution to make work normally the %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME% in a publication, without the instance number?

ex :
ReportforAccountmanagers.pdf
and not
ReportforAccountmanagers x3A 14439.pdf

Does a XI 3.1 ServicePack solve this issue?

Thanks

cchaize :fr: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

The %SI_NAME% parameter does not include anything but the name.

I thought some of this issue was in how inboxes work in XI compare to 6.5 and back - before the ID was part of the math, behind the scenes . in XI, you are working with the name and possibly someone else’s inbox - you don’t have the rights to overwrite their documents. If you don’t make a unique name, you get failures in the send.

I usually use NAME-DATE and TIME… anyone else try this?

Brent

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)