BusinessObjects Board

Publisher not producing outputs in file system

Hi,

We have a requirement of scheduling documents for overnight run and produde output in multiple formats (HTML, PDF, Excel etc.)

I understand that the Scheduler in XI does not support multiple format in one job (i.e. we will have to set-up one job per report per format)

We are trying to use Publisher for this purpose.

As a test, I have created a new publication job (which runs only one report) and scheduled it. But, when it runs it does not produce any output (in a specified folder path) althoguh the status of the run is “Successful”
Is there any setting I am missing?

Thanks for your help.

Any idea where I am going wrong?

Ilovebo :uk: (BOB member since 2006-10-17)

Hi,

I have got a bit far with this…

So far, I have done the following:

I have added the File System (in the Destination property) in the Destination JobServer, AdaptiveJobServer and in the Desktop Intelligence Job Server
I haven’t specified the Destination Directory in these server, but I have specified the user name and password as I expect different directory path for different reports.

But when I schedule the publication, I get the following message in the publication log file.

destination directory error. [[CrystalEnterprise.DiskUnmanaged] ([1]/[1])]: [Access is denied.

Any idea where I am going wrong or what configuration I am missing?

Hello,

Latest status:

Managed to output reports (in various formats) to network location. In the “Destination” property of the Publication, I specified the same user name/password as the service account under which SIA is running.

However, the hurdle to get the report name right. I am getting the output reports in “Report Name x3A nnnn” where “nnnn” is, I believe the instance number (auto generated in BOXI). Obviously, I want the output in “Report Name.extension” format.

I tried %SI_DOCUMENT_NAME%, %SI_ID% etc., but to no avail.

Any idea if there are other internal BOXI variables we could use to extract just the report name?

Thanks.

Were you able to resolve the file name containing: FileName x3A NNNN.ext?

I have the same requirement to publish multiple reports with specific names and not their x3A + Instance Number that gets automatically added.

Doug Y (BOB member since 2002-09-16)

I have logged this issue with SAP. Apparently this is a known issue and and ER (Enhancement Request) has been logged with thier Product Group.

So, hopefully they will resolve this with some SP/FP in the future

:x

Anyone with a workaround?

I have a case opened with SAP as well, but have not heard from them in over a week. I have to believe that a lot of people have an issue with this file name convention.

Please post any solutions or workarounds.

After two weeks, SAP support just informed me they were able to reproduce this and that this is the applications default behavior. This “technician” was unaware of any enhancement requests. They gave me the old “that’s the way it works, deal with it.”

I need a constant file name that does not change with each scheduled run. I am surprised more people don’t have a problem with this “default” behavior.

I am now waiting to hear back from the next level of SAP support.

:hb:

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is known issue with Publisher and an ER is raised with SAP Product Group.

Anyways, this is what I have done to get around this issue

• Add an event after completion of the publication job
  • Create a perl script (or any other program) in the BOE server. This script will clean up the file name to remove the instance numbers.
  • Create program object and browse to the program file you created above
  • Schedule this program object and add the event above as the “event to wait for”

Good luck.

I figured there was probably a programmatical workaround with Event scheduling.

Do you have a sample of your Perl script you could share?

Thanks…

My SAP case has been rejected as a bug and as an Enhancement Request by their Product Group. They claim that this behavior is by design. My SAP engineer was unable to find any reference to this as an existing ER in their system.

Do you have an incident number that I could refer them too?

Looks like this issue has been assigned ADAPT00940631 in their system.

Hopefully enough customers require this same enhancement to convince them to implement this change.

If you haven’t done so already, please open a case and reference this ADAPT. The more users on board, the better the chance of getting this resolved.

More on this topic at:

https://bobj-board.org/t/134247

Hey!!

Where do i set the user name/password??? i cant find it.

Greetz
Jooken

jooken :austria: (BOB member since 2009-02-20)

In destination Filesystem

RikDeclercq :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-09-28)

I use a Powershell script for renaming the files. And yes, for me this is a bug !

RikDeclercq :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-09-28)