BusinessObjects Board

Security promotion with Promotion Mangement

Hello,
I read this discussion from @joepeters from few years back.

I’m trying to do about the same thing in my environment. I’ve Custom Access, Folders, Groups, and of course all Top Level Security in development. I moved it to quality and found tons of discrepancies. Then without spending much time on issues I started on line research because promoting security has been always buggy, messy, and notorious. Is security promotion still in bad shape?
Has anyone done clean security along with folders promotion in BO4.2? Do you have any documentation, blog, steps, or lesson learn that you have followed that you can share?
I’m currently using BO 4.2 SP2.

zulu1900 (BOB member since 2005-07-27)

What kind of discrepancies are you seeing? Only with top level security or other stuff too?

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I had total 80 objects that included folders/reports/groups/access and Promote with Security options (all of the them) were checked. The deployment showed successful. The total deployed objects was just 57 per log. A lot of the objects did not make it, not sure why. The deployment made few changes to top level security by removing delete and edit objects which was set to “Grant” in Quality environment and after deployment showed “Denied” and was not able rollback. I had to manually change those settings to “Grant” to have rollback work. I missed 7 groups, 2 Access, 8 reports, and 6 folders in promotion. I did not bother to troubleshoot as I’ve no record of doing clean promotion when security options are checked.

Today, I moved all those objects again without security options checked and they all came out fine.

zulu1900 (BOB member since 2005-07-27)