BusinessObjects Board

Propagate object name changes to derived universes

If I have an object in a core universe that I use in several derived universes and I want to change the name of that object. How do I propagate object name changes to derived universes?

For example, let’s say the core universe (Universe A) has an object (Object_1) that is used in the derived universes (Universe B, Universe C and Universe D). If we run this script, for universe B, C and D, we can change the name of Object_1. However, instead of having to change the name of this object in Universe B, C and D, can I just change it in Universe A? If so, how do we get the change to propagate the change to Universe B, C and D?

RufusLancaster :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

Have you exported UniverseA after the name change? If so, it should flow through to the derived universes. If it doesn’t, delete the local copy of UniverseA to force a fresh import.

jac :australia: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)

I did the export and it did flow through to the derived universes, thank you. However, if I am running this script on Universe B, is there a way to tell (via the SDK) that Object_1 is actually a component from Universe A?

Thanks in advance.

RufusLancaster :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

Doesn’t look like it. However there is a separate thread being discussed now that is asking the very same question:

jac :australia: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)