BusinessObjects Board

Profiling Task Fails - Setup Issue?

I logged in to Information Steward and set up a profiling task. When I run the task I get the following error:

I’m not the admin of this install so I don’t have the luxury of poking around. Can anyone give me a clue to where I should start? I suspect we don’t have something configured correctly but I’m not sure where.

When I added the table to the profiling task it is connecting OK to the source since it is showing all the columns in the table. But the source is Oracle and the repository is SQL Server. I think the problem is with the repository connection. Is there a way around created ODBC DSN’s for the repository?

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Great Jim!!!

Me too getting onto some areas of Data Insight and CPB…

Well, would you please pull the connection information in the CMC under the Information Steward Tree and test the connection you are using?

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

I don’t have full access to the CMC. I looked over the shoulder when the admin was looking at things. I can see where the connection to the source is defined but I don’t know where the connection to the repository is or if it even exists. I can see that a profiler repository exists but I don’t know if Data Insight is associated with that repository. From my “user” perspective in Data Insight/Information Steward I don’t see anything about the profiler repository.

I would say, go ahead and access CMC. I hope you can frame the CMC Web Link out from your IS Link…
You will have very limited access to the Applications visible there. But still you should see Connections eventhough you will not have access to create Connections/Projects in there!!! Give I try (Of course…I did that when I wanted to know!!!)

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

what is “SQL01D” name of the SQL Server or the DSN, for DS repo connection DS, doesn’t uses ODBC, are you able to configure repo in server manager ? do you have multiple DS Job Server on different installed for IS ?

trouble shoot this the same way you will do it for DS repo

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Yes, SQL01D is the name of the SQL Server.

If Data Insight doesn’t use ODBC why does the message indicate that it’s trying to use an ODBC DSN?

The admin and I did some poking around today and changed some configuration settings. Now we are getting the following in the profile task error log:

Within the DS Management Console there is no job server group defined as “ISJobServerGroup”. In fact, there are no job server groups as all. We removed the profile repository from the job server and added it back but that didn’t help.

go to CMC, select Applications
Select Information Steward , right click and Select the option to see the DS Job Server, if you don’t see any job servers then the job server information is missing

try the following

open Server Manager where DS used by IS is isntalled and check if the IS Repo is registered in the Job Server, if not added it
you can also check the AL_MACHINE_INFO table of the IS Repository to see if the Job Server is there or not

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

I verified both items above. The Job Server is registered in the CMC for Information Steward. The repository is defined in Server Manager for the job server. It is listed using the following format: .

I now have access to the repository database and in the al_machine_info table I see that there is a row that references a job server group. We aren’t sure how that got in there as we don’t have a job server group. We think the install did it.

I cleared out the value in the SERVERGROUP_NAME column by setting it to ‘’. I did not set it to NULL.

We then did a resync from the Server Manager utility and also restarted the “ISJobServer” server in the CMC. But we get the same error. Is there something else that needs to be refreshed? We’ll be doing a O/S reboot tonight just in case.

The O/S reboot failed to resolve the issue. We continue to get the error where it is trying to find the “ISJobServerGroup”. Where else in the configuration would this value be coming from?

Update: We have it working. Apparently the administrator had moved the Information Steward repository from the job server created during the install and then removed that job server (ISJobServer). The repository was moved to one of our regular (logical) job servers (JobServer_2). To get this working the default job server ISJobServer was added back and the repository was then moved back to that job server.

I would expect that consolidating job servers is not an unusual task. This would have been easy to do back in the DS 3.x days.

Hi Jim…

We are seeing the same issue about “No job servers found”, i recently applied 4.1 SP1 patch 3 to QA system and all task started failing with same errors… Checked in CMC and also the Machine Info table… everything is as before, I think patch did some change…

Anybody having same issue ?

Regards
Raj

raj342 (BOB member since 2009-05-05)