BusinessObjects Board

Problem Reactivating Scheduled Jobs

We’re using BODI 11.5, running SQL Server 2000 for the repository and source/target databases. I’m having problems deactivating an existing job in Web Administrator. When trying to select a job and activate it from the batch job schedules page, it returns the error message BODI-3016233: Unable to connect to host machine 'servername '. Error: servername. When selecting a job to view/edit its details and trying to set the “active” indicator field, it returns a “connection reset” error message.

Any ideas on what to do?

Interestingly, deactivating the same job worked just fine. It also works to remove an old schedule and create a new one, but that gets old real fast besides the possibity of errors when recreating the job schedule.

Thanks.

peterp16 :us: (BOB member since 2006-10-13)

Is it possbile the schedule was created for a jobserver that does not exists anymore??

The actual activate/deactivate is done by the jobserver. WebAdmin does not need to be installed on the same server as where you want to use the scheduler at.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

Only one jobserver – hasn’t changed in a long time.

peterp16 :us: (BOB member since 2006-10-13)

and same name I assume? No clue then. I was working on the source code of web admin myself for 11.5. Nothing special there:

First, if the schedule is active, we contact the jobserver if he knows about a schedule with that ID. If there is a problem, we show it as deactivated, otherwise you cannot delete a schedule for a jobserver that does not exist anymore.

Second, we show the schedule as saved in the AL_SCHED_INFO table.

If you click on deactivate, we contact the jobserver and ask to deactivate the schedule with a given ID (ID is returned when calling the “at” command of Windows and saved in the AL_SCHED table).

And then we update the AL_SCHED table updating the line for this schedule and removing the at-ID and the active flag.

So in your case, it all comes down to the webadmin - jobserver connection.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

My search came up with an old issue with the same problem as I am having now - when I try to activate a schedule, I just get back a message saying “connection reset”.

I did not see a resolution to the old thread so though I’d resurrect rather than post new. Solutions?

petersjd (BOB member since 2003-11-21)

what is the version of DS ?
are you able to execute job on the same job server ?
is that Job Server accessible from the webserver machine (try ping)

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

I can execute from the console just fine, and the job server shows up in the drop down, as expected.

petersjd (BOB member since 2003-11-21)

Hello BoBers,

Well I have the same problem for the second time. On the first plateform we have finaly reinstalled Data Services 3.2 to make it work. SAP support had not found the problem (and we were urged).
I’m on Windows server 2008.

Now recently I found out that I can’t activate a schedule on a development plateform while I can create it. The “Connection Reset” message is displayed. I can start a job with the execute action (there’s only one job server).

An idea about what can cause this “connection reset” error? I don’t see what is special on this computer.

Best regards

fprovot :fr: (BOB member since 2013-01-15)

Followup :
what I found out is that

• the windows scheduler don’t have any DS entry
  • there’s no *.bat file in the log folder and subfolders of the data services install folder.
  • DSConfig.txt has no value for key “AL_JobServerLogDirectory1=”. Only the AL_JobServerPath has a value :“C:\Programs\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Data Services/bin/al_jobserver.exe”.
    I assume that the default log folder is the \Log<jobservername>. Should I fill this parameter?

The peculiar characteristic is that I have 3 jobservers (on ports 3500, 3501, 3502). But the correct port is proposed in the jobserver parameter of the schedule creation page.
I can’t create a schedule for any of the jobservers.

Don’t assign anything to AL_JobServerLogDirectory1=

If you will be using default Log folders, this will be only empty.
I will ask you to see/catch any odd lines in the log files that will be present in the Log Directory.

Try restarting the Service and read what these logs - service_eventlog tells?

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

I tried successfully to change the log folder. Of course it didn’t change anything. Then I had an idea -> change the account running the DataServices service. It was “local system”, I changed it to my admin account. Full of hope I tried, but it didn’t work neither!

So I stopped the service, deleted all logs, started again, created a new schedule and looked at logs. I have only one problem in the logs:

server_eventlog_2013-01-15.txt

Any idea about this strange message?
Regards

what is the complete version of DS 12.2 ? DS 12.2.3.5 ? if yes how did you update to DS 12.2.3.5, did you install over an existing isntallation or did a uninstall of existing installation and then installed 12.2.3.5 ?

you mentioned that you have a support case, what is the message # ?

the connection reset means, the webserver is not able to connect to Job server, is your webserver and job server of the same version ?

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Well after some researches (it has been installed long ago), I see that it was first installed with 12.2.3.3 then upgraded to 12.2.3.5 (dataServices server and client).
I think to remember that it has been upgraded over the previous version, not desinstalled before reinstalled (although I’m not 100% sure).

Here’s the support message number opened by a collegue: ( 998030 / 2012 )

You ask :“is your webserver and job server of the same version?” : you mean Tomcat and DataServices versions?
Tomcat has been installed with BO 12.5.0.1190 (displayed by the CMC, but version.txt says 12.5.0.1238). DataServices uses the installed Tomcat5.5.
Should I reinstall Tomcat, or its webapps?

I don’t see how to check JobServer and WebServer compatibility.

Edit: DataService management console -> about : SAP BusinessObjects Data Services Version: 12.2.3.3

Best Regards
Frederic

Hi.
End of story

I tried to reinstall only WebTier component of DataServices. What happened is that everything else has been uninstalled ! So I had to reinstall DataServices! Which resulted in an unusable Designer!

Here’s some information I came through :

Same thing for 12.2.3.4. I don’t know for 12.2.3.3

I dont’ know if it’s my problem or not, it may be indeed.

So then I uninstalled BODS and reinstalled it, using previous admin.xml file, and n-2 DSConfig file (as last one has been too much changed).
Now the DS designer works but the DS webApp has not been installed…!!
What a loss of time. I’m doing this in parralel of other work, and it takes me too much time.

I found a wdeploy bat file in BO deployement folder, so I ran

wdeploy tomcat55 -DAPP=Dataservices deploy

and that worked! What to say about SAP support to who I asked how to deploy a web service cleanly, and they never told me it’s possible.

Finaly I can say my DS scheduler now works!

With the versions

• Data Services : 12.2.3.5
  • BOE 12.5.0.1190

Here’s the associations of BOE and BODS I know about (on the same server) and are compatible :
BOE 12.3.0.601 / BODS 12.2.3.2
BOE 12.3.0.601.BOE_EDGE31_SP3_REL / DS 12.2.3.2
BOE 12.5.0.1190 / DS 12.2.3.2
BOE 12.3.0.601 / DS 12.2.3.2

Each of my known plateforms with [ BOE 12.5.0 / BODS 12.2.3.5 ] associations were not working until now.
I will try to make them work like this one by cleanly uninstalling/reinstalling the version.

So I can say my issue is now closed (although it was quite a puzzle), and also that I’m not satisfied at all of the SAP support for such problems.

Regards

Nice that you solved the problems! I had this issue in 2009 and still it is there…I just can’t believe.

See this 2008/2009 timeframe topic

That is the sad thing about SAP Support…I don’t want to talk about that anymore! I am frustrated to the core :flush:

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

Hello,

Is this the best way of solving this problem or do we have any other way to solve this. I have similar issue ; unable to reactivate a schedule job after upgrading to 12.2.3.5. However i am able to deactivate a job. Can someone post a best solution for this.

Many thanks.
LR

klkreddy83 :uk: (BOB member since 2011-03-07)

Years ago I had BOE and DS 12.0.0.0 installed together and then ran the uninstall. What a disaster. Fortunately, it was on my laptop not the client’s server. When I recommend installing DS and BOE on separate machines this experience is one of the first reasons I use.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)