BusinessObjects Board

Making a universe object to reflect server name

As of XI 3.x we can keep open document syntax generic. This allows us to migrate an open document url from one environment to another without opening note pad and doing a find and replace.

This is great for reports, but I’d like to help our Xcelsius developers move content more seemlessly though the environments. So rather than changing the data manager in Xcelsius (albeit an easy change, but we have a decentralized model, so I have to make this as seamless as possible), we’d have an object at the universe level which would tell you what environment you were in. So if you select the Environment object, it would update as we moved environments. I could create a look up table with this info (three rows one for each environment), but I don’t see how the value pick up the correct environment as we moved from Dev, test and to prod.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

SteveBickerton :canada: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Are the underlying databases different in each environment as well (and assuming the connection is not updated when you progress the universe). If so why not have table in each environment with ONE row that details the environment?

Alternatively you may be able to use the database server name function. e.g. @@SERVERNAME [microsoft.com] and to get this object to parse, refer to this [forumtopics.com]

Haven’t tried it myself, it is just pure speculation and this method would obviously only tell you which database the universe was connecting to, not which server/cms the universe was running under.

Don’t know if that helps?

Darth Services :uk: (BOB member since 2007-11-20)

I like the one row idea:

1. So BOE dev would point to dev db with the one row for the dev environment
  2. BOE UAT would point to a uat dev with one row for the uat env

and so on. Nice. Thanks!!

You would of course have to run the dashboard though, for this to work, correct :)?

Obviously, if you were using Live Office and scheduled Webi, this wouldn’t be an issue…

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

agreed, ideally this is the best way. I had different issue however. An offhshore team hardcoded the open document syntax in excel. I wanted to put this in the universe as insurance.

You can also use the following and it is a report level solution. We are using the following in our DeskI. template directly.

<v_data_provider> = DataProvider(<Event Code(Inventory Info)>)

Data provider functions accepts data provider name.

<v_connection>  = Connection(<v_dataprovider>) 
<v_database_name> = Lower(SubStr(<v_connection> ,Pos(<v_connection> ,"DATABASE"), (Length(<v_connection>) - Pos(<v_connection> ,"DATABASE")))) 

Hope that helps.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)