BusinessObjects Board

Migration QaaWS development environment to production

Dear,

I have an Xcelsius dashboard where I use a connection qaaws but when I migrate from one environment to another I always need to remap the cells in excel beyond republish queries.

There is a way that I can dynamically change the url of the web service without having to manually reponterar cells of the query result in my Xcelsius?

Thank you!

peeterweb :brazil: (BOB member since 2009-11-27)

This should help you:-

https://bobj-board.org/t/144970

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Mak 1,

unfortunately that did not help.

I need it is to change the URL dynamically without having to change the url in Xcelsius and import all the columns again…

:slight_smile:

Use Hotfix, you will get an option to change URL dynamically.

Rakesh_K :india: (BOB member since 2007-12-11)

Well, I thought you may be able to do this via an object, with a different value in the DB, depending upon environment?

That is what is been discussed in the link.

The dashboard would, obviously, be required to be refreshed, in the new environment, for this approach to work.

Rakesh_K,

Hotfix ?

There is a hotfix for QaaWS ?

Mark 1,

I don´t understand your last proposed solution or isn´t possible to change the URL of the development environment to production using a feature of qaaws within Xcelsius?

Hotfix for Xcelsius. There you will get an option to provide server name from excel.

How does that work then? I’m not using qaaws. I’m grabbing data from xml, but I’m still having to hardcode the server/path to the xml file and not looking forward to having to manually change them when we move to production.

How can xcelsius/excel “know” the server name? is it a new component or something? I have a fairly new xcelsius 2008 installtion and don’t know if I have it or not!

Thanks

debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

Please read the thread completely.
The solution was provided if you are using QaaWS, if you have any different issue, please post separately.

Thank you. I read the thread completely - several times. You specifically mentioned a hotfix for xcelsius, not qaaws, hence my interest. If the hotfix only works on qaaws, I’d still like to know how it works as it may point me in the right direction to sort out my own issues.

debbie

I was using Xcelsius 4.5 and installed hotfix 11. Then in component properties of XML component I got one extra map option where the input value I can pass from Excel sheet. Use a drop down box to select dev or prod and then according to the selection dev or prod server name inserted into a cell in excel and that cell I have mapped to the input value of that XML component.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Rakesh,

That is exactly the sort of thing I was suggested that could be done with a universe object, as per my earlier post.

The cells could be remapped, using IF, depending on the value of the environment universe object retrieved by QAAWs.

Cheers,

Mark.

I get it (I think!). Won’t work for me unfortunately, as I’m only hitting the database with an aspx once per day and then storing the result as xml, which the dashboards can pick up as and when required. Speeds everything up considerably and as my source data only changes daily at most, it’s ideal for me.

Half-sorted by using IF statements and building the urls dynamically. So I just have to type LIVE into one cell and all the urls change from dev to prod servers. I can live with that.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

debbie