BusinessObjects Board

Exception thrown when trying to communicate with Job Server

I get this error when trying to execute a job via management console.
In designer, the jobserver appears to be up and running and when I execute a job in designer i get a completely blank job log.

I recall having seen this problem before but am not sure how it was resolved - think that by restarting the jobserver issue was resolved but on this occasion it couldn’t be resolved by a restart.

Full error message:
Batch job ‘’ failed
[Exception thrown when trying to communicate with Job Server:XXXXX:XXXX. The batch job cannot be started. Check the Job Server ‘XXXXX:XXXX’ log to see the problem. ]

When I ping the server I do get a reply. It could be an issue with the port as stated here although the error messages are different.

Decisys :de: (BOB member since 2004-05-21)

I’m not sure what’s going on but I would start by looking at the entries in the AL_MACHINE_INFO table. Make sure that they agree with what you expect. Is the server address and port correct.

Is Tomcat running on the the same O/S as the job server? If so, and if your job server address and port are correct, then I don’t see any reason why there would be a problem communicating.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Thanks! checking AL_machine_info is a good suggestion. The server was restarted which sorted it out. Pity though it’s always more interesting to do minimal investigation.

Decisys :de: (BOB member since 2004-05-21)

Hi!
I have the same problem. Where is the AL_MACHINE_INFO table?
Thanks,
Vincent

When you get this error message, it means there is a problem with the job server. I have seen this error message especially if the environment variables change for some reason and the job server is unable to reconnect to the repository.

When faced with this error message first thing i do is to

1. Resync the Repository with the job server, if there is a connection issue between the job server and the repository it will pop up when you resync
  2. Check the server_eventlog_yyyy-mm-dd.txt for any socket related issues