BusinessObjects Board

Batch job cannot be started

I’m receiving the following message when trying to Execute a job from the Management Console:

Batch job 'Hello' failed
[Exception thrown when trying to communicate with Job Server:MyServer:3500. The batch job cannot be started. Check the Job Server 'MyServer:3500' log to see the problem. ] 

In the log files I find the following:

(14.2) 10-25-13 20:52:39 (E) (1332:2983995168) PAR-010102: Initialization
Syntax error at line <4>: <<SubVar name="RefFilesAddressCleanse">C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data</SubVar><SubVar name="RefFilesGeoc>:  found <[end of text]> expecting <identifier, ;>.
1 error(s), 0 warning(s).
Check and fix the syntax and retry the operation.

This is a fresh installation in which I’m trying to run a simple job that prints “hello world” to the output; no data flows, no use of DQ or Substitution Parameters whatsoever.

Server OS: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 x86_64 (64-bit)
Repository: MySQL 5.1 (hosted on same machine)
Web Server: Tomcat (installed with BO)
BI Platform: IPS 4.0 SP5
Data Services: DS 4.2

Thanks!

wrob :us: (BOB member since 2005-07-13)

This may be a dumb question but do the timestamps of those two listed error coincide?

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

They do. It’s a recent installation and isolated so I can easily correlate my actions to the log files.

I don’t use substitution parameters so I’m not experienced with them but it does sort of look like a substitution parameter is involved. Even though your job doesn’t use them they may still be defined. Try removing them from your repository and see what happens.

Designer won’t let me delete the built-in Substitution Parameters but I can set their values to blank. And I still get an error:

(14.2) 10-28-13 17:05:24 (E) (9549:3008870176) PAR-010102: Initialization
Syntax error at line <2>: <<SVConfigurations> <SVConfiguration name="Configuration1"> <SubVar
name="RefFilesAddressCleanse"></SubVar> <SubVar name="RefFilesGeo>:  found <[end of text]> expecting <identifier, ;>.

It appears to be trying to parse configuration information from the repository, stored in XML format, and failing to do so. The XML seems to be the same as found here:

select lt.text_value
from DS_42_REPO.AL_LANG l
inner join DS_42_REPO.AL_LANGTEXT lt on lt.parent_objid = l.object_key 
where l.name = 'subvar_store' 

I’m not sure why it’s stored this way, but it looks OK - similar to other repositories at least.

Corrupted repository?

I don’t think so. I just now created a second repository in the same database, associated it with the CMS and Job Server, made a little “hello world” job in it, and it does the same thing.

I don’t think the repo is corrupted, the problem could be with the parsing of Substitution Variable Datastore

check the following post to export the SV Datastore to XML file, if it gets exported successfully then try to open the XML in IE and see if it open fine

can you also go to DS MC , and try to execute the job from DS MC, do you see the section for overriding the substitution parameters, is it showing up or you get error on this page ?

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Export the substitution variables to a file and post up what it contains. Use this command line: al_engine -U -P -N -S -XX@v@C:\temp\all_sub_var.xml

Thank you Jim and Manoj - obviously great minds think alike.

So I attempt to export Substitution Parameters using this command:

$LINK_DIR/bin/al_engine -Uboeuser -Pmypassword -NMySQL -SDS_42_REPO -XX@v@all_sub_var.xml -passphrasehello

Interestingly, it immediately displays the same error that I see in the logs:

(14.2) 10-29-13 00:16:02 (E) (2760:535025440) PAR-010102: Export XML
Syntax error at line <2>: <<SVConfigurations> <SVConfiguration name="Configuration1"> <SubVar
name="RefFilesAddressCleanse"></SubVar> <SubVar name="RefFilesGeo>:  found <[end of text]> expecting <identifier, ;>.

(note that at this point, the Substitution Parameters have all been set to blank values)

It does populate my output file all_sub_var.xml, but there’s not much in there:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<DataIntegratorExport formatVersion="1.0" repositoryVersion="14.2.0.0000" productVersion="14.2.0.301" repositoryName="MYSQL.DS_42_REPO.BOEUSER" timestamp="2013-10-29 00:17:50">

Manoj, I am currently trying to execute jobs from the Management Console only as I am unable to do so directly from Designer, probably due to the network configuration. When I do so, the “Substitution Parameters” section of the page does render, with a hyperlink to “Add Overridden Parameter”, which I have not been using.

At this point I think your substitution vars in the repository are screwed. I would try to find a working repository, export its substitution vars and then import them into a non-working repository. See if that does it.

I can try an export from my 14.2 install if you need one that works. Well, at least I can run jobs. I can’t say if my substitution variables are any better.

Supposedly there is an ATL file in the installed directories that you could do this from. But if all your repositories are jacked up then maybe that file is the root cause.

if you are able see the link in management console when trying to execute a job, then check if you are able to see all the parameters in the drop down list check the default value of each of these variable
or
use the SQL that Jim provided in the link that I posted, that should give you the subvar definition stored in repo, you can post the output

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Fortunately I do have access to a working DS 4.2 environment (Windows/SQL Server). I was skeptical that the repository is corrupted since the “subvar_store” values are similar to those in the working environment. Nevertheless, I updated copied them from one to the other (using UPDATE statements).

Here is what the data looks like:

mysql> select TEXT_VALUE from DS_42_REPO.AL_LANGTEXT where PARENT_OBJID = 1;
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| TEXT_VALUE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CREATE __BODI_SUBVARSTORE  SET ("SV_Config_Default" = 'Configuration1', "SV_Config_Values" = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <SVConfigurations> <SVConfiguration name="Configuration1"> <SubVar name="RefFilesAddressCleanse">C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data</SubVar><SubVar name="RefFilesGeocoder">C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data</SubVar><SubVar name="RefFilesUSPSStatic">C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data</SubVar><SubVar name="ReportsAddressCleanse">YES</SubVar><SubVar name="ReportsDataCleanse">YES</SubVar |
| ><SubVar name="ReportsGeocoder">YES</SubVar><SubVar name="ReportsMatch">YES</SubVar><SubVar name="SamplesInstall">C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Data Services</SubVar><SubVar name="CertificationLogPath">C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/certifications/CertificationLogs</SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyName"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyAddress"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyLocality"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyRegion"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyPostcode1"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyPostcode2"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyPhone"></SubVar><SubVar name="CompanyNAICSCode"></SubVar><SubVar name="USPSNCOALinkPl |
| atformId"></SubVar><SubVar name="USPSProviderLevel">NONE</SubVar><SubVar name="IMBMailerID"></SubVar><SubVar name="USPSLicenseeName"></SubVar><SubVar name="DSF2LicenseeID"></SubVar><SubVar name="DSF2SiteLocation"></SubVar></SVConfiguration> </SVConfigurations> ');                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Things appear OK in Designer and Management Studio (I see the Substitution Parameters and their values).

When I run the job I still get the error, but the log entry is interesting:

(14.2) 10-29-13 17:07:34 (E) (26422:2282342176) PAR-010102: Initialization
Syntax error at line <1>: <��Ïï¿>:  found <[end of text]> expecting <identifier, ;>.

It seems to be communication between the job server and repository.

The “expecting <identifier” error tells me that the query that is being executed against the repository isn’t right.

A full SQL trace on the job is in order so we find out what it is actually submitting to the database.

I opened a trace on MySQL and collected while trying to launch the job. Among the chatter, I found this:

16 Change user    boeuser@myserver.ec2.internal on DS_42_REPO
16 Query  SET NAMES utf8
16 Query  SET character_set_results = NULL
16 Query  select TEXT_VALUE from AL_LANGXMLTEXT where OBJECT_TYPE = 74 and OBJECT_NORMNAME = 'SUBVAR_STORE' order by SEQNUM
16 Query  rollback

So it’s looking in AL_LANGXMLTEXT. Running the same query I get:

mysql> select TEXT_VALUE from AL_LANGXMLTEXT where OBJECT_TYPE = 74 and OBJECT_NORMNAME = 'SUBVAR_STORE' order by SEQNUM;
| TEXT_VALUE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| <DISubVarStore typeId="19" >
<DIAttributes>
<DIAttribute name="SV_Config_Default" value="Configuration1"/>
<DIAttribute name="SV_Config_Values" value="&amp;lt;?xml version=&amp;quot;1.0&amp;quot; encoding=&amp;quot;UTF-8&amp;quot;?&amp;gt;&amp;#xA;&amp;lt;SVConfigurations&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SVConfiguration name=&amp;quot;Configuration1&amp;quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;RefFilesAddressCleanse&amp;quot;&amp;gt;C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;RefFilesGeocoder&amp;quot;&amp;gt;C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;RefFilesUSPSStatic&amp;quot;&amp;gt;C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/reference_data&amp; |
| lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;ReportsAddressCleanse&amp;quot;&amp;gt;YES&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;ReportsDataCleanse&amp;quot;&amp;gt;YES&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;ReportsGeocoder&amp;quot;&amp;gt;YES&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;ReportsMatch&amp;quot;&amp;gt;YES&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;SamplesInstall&amp;quot;&amp;gt;C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CertificationLogPath&amp;quot;&amp;gt;C:/BusinessObjects/Data Services/DataQuality/certifications/CertificationLogs&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyName&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyAddress&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot |
| ;CompanyLocality&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyRegion&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyPostcode1&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyPostcode2&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyPhone&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;CompanyNAICSCode&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;USPSNCOALinkPlatformId&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;USPSProviderLevel&amp;quot;&amp;gt;NONE&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;IMBMailerID&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;USPSLicenseeName&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;DSF2LicenseeID&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt |
| ;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;SubVar name=&amp;quot;DSF2SiteLocation&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SubVar&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/SVConfiguration&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/SVConfigurations&amp;gt;"/>
</DIAttributes>
</DISubVarStore>
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

It’s kind of a combination of urlencoded and non-urlencoded XML - odd, but more or less consistent with that from a “healthy” repository.

I could be wrong here but you’re just running the query. Is it trying to run all that stuff together, without a character used to separate the commands?

For completeness sake, I did go ahead and submit the preceeding commands. You could be onto something, but it would be a problem with how the app fundamentally interacts with MySQL. This is a tiny snippet of literally megabytes of log entries, which all looks pretty much the same.

Just curious, have you addressed this problem to the ramp up team? That is what they are there for. =)

Are you using the MySQL ODBC Connector 5.1?
When you are doing your queries on MySQL, are you also using boeuser?

• E

eepjr24 :us: (BOB member since 2005-09-16)

I went ahead and opened a ticket with SAP. I’ll post back if/when they’re able to straighten me out.

The MySQL middlewear is something I struggled with at every step. There is SQL communication happening but I’m certainly open to the possibility that something is still misconfigured. This is what I have:

• MySQL Database - mysql-community-server_55
  • MySQL Shared Libraries - libmysqlclient16 (libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0)
  • MySQL ODBC Client - mysql-connector-odbc (libmyodbc5.so)
  • MySQL JDBC Client - mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar

Yes, I am using MySQL account boeuser for all interaction with the repositories.

FYI, you may run into problems since you are running an unsupported version of MySQL. The PAM for 4.2 specifies version 5.0 or 5.1. Not saying that is the problem, just may be something you run into.

• E

eepjr24 :us: (BOB member since 2005-09-16)