BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

If you are double-clicking the button and getting a code page, it means Excel is in Design mode. Turn off Design mode, click the button once, and it will execute.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Dwayne,

I am also getting a error in the ListObjects() : VBAProject -7 : Out of Memory. I made the change suggested above and I still get the error. The universe is 871kb in size; I saved universe as text document and none of the objects look too long

Any thoughts?

jemstar :ireland: (BOB member since 2006-03-30)

A few people have reported an “out of memory” error, but no one has ever provided a repeatable example I could research. All I can suggest is standard debugging techniques. Try it on a co-worker’s machine to try to eliminate a corrupt installation. Turn off the error handling in the code, and step through line by line to try to find the culprit. Not the answer you hoped for I’m sure, but without more concrete information that’s all I can offer.

Hi Dwayne,

I think the size of my column names might be a factor - they all have table names tacked on the front of them. If it would help, I could send you a copy of the universe for you to research? I was able to re-produce the issue when I tried to document the universe on my laptop

jemstar :ireland: (BOB member since 2006-03-30)

I am having a similiar issue… when i use the tool on a smaller universe, it works perfectly, however, when I try to use this on a much larger, and more complex universe, I get this error. The only difference is that my error says ListContexts not ListObjects.

Can someone tell me what the solution is for this error?

thank you

Alandwehr :us: (BOB member since 2008-02-20)

Let’s try some debugging. In the DocumentUniverse procedure, there is a section with the following lines of code:

Call ListTables(Univ.Tables)
Call ListColumns(Univ.Tables)
Call ListJoins(Univ.Joins)
Call ListContexts(Univ.Contexts)
Call ListClasses(Univ.Classes, 1)
Call ListObjects(Univ.Classes, 1)
Call ListConditions(Univ.Classes, 1)

Comment them out, and run maybe one at a time. In your case, run only the ListContexts line. See if it runs then.

Honestly, I’m still suspicious of simply “too large / complex” of a universe. I have a universe with 10,000 objects, 1,000 joins, and 200 contexts, and it runs just fine. I still suspect it is something about the particular “thing” being looked at, but let’s see if the debugging turns up anything.

Hi,
Great Utility.

I was wondering if there is a way to identify hierarchy of classes within this utility. What I mean is identify parent class from child class.

Thanks,
Wasi :hb:

wasinoor :pakistan: (BOB member since 2005-08-16)

In the ListObjects procedure, Cls.RootClass.Name would return the parent class name.

Thanks Dwayne.

I did tried that but for couple of classes (which are already at root-level) it gave error something like “Cannot find mother class”.

I will try it on other Universes and see if it works.

Thanks,
Wasi :+1:

wasinoor :pakistan: (BOB member since 2005-08-16)

Hi,

I receive an error :

VBAProject 430 : Class does not support Automatition or does not support expected interface.

what can be wrong?

I am Using BO XI r2, Excel 2003

BO 11,5 Object library is checked.

Looks like the excel can not even invoke Designer to start. :frowning:

thanks

Rolandas :lithuania: (BOB member since 2007-08-10)

Correct, you’ll have to trap that error and resume processing when it occurs. Look at the ErrorHandler: code in the ListClasses procedure. Add it to the ListObjects procedure, and that should cover it.

Dwayne,
I am getting this error(out of memory) and I found that this error is for objects which have ‘comments’ incuded like this one

-- Get the (formatted) strip.
case @Select(Strips\Strip Type) 

Once I remove comments,it works fine…

Do you know what changes will be required in the code to handle special characters?
-Durgesh

dcdas :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi -

What a great tool ! Thanks !

One question though, is there any way to add the “Object ID” ?

In the old days of BO 6.5 we were able to query the repository and see the object ID and other object related data.This was great to absolutely verify what objects had been added in a particular update. Also for comparing two universes to each other.

I really miss this capability.

Deb Franke

dfranke :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

Hi ,

when i was tried to create Universe Documentation using yours XIR2 excel file its showing error"VBAProject -430:class does not support automation or does not support expected interface". I am using MS office 2003. give me the solution.

Regards,

GGS

Arasu (BOB member since 2008-10-24)

Good catch … thanks for the “forensics” :slight_smile: . If you look in the code, there is code to be sure a leading apostrophe is kept (it has special meaning in Excel). You could duplicate it an look for leading “-” character. Not sure why it causes “out of memory” error, but it would cause a syntax error in Excel. With a leading minus sign, Excel is expecting something numeric, but not getting it. Quite confident that is causing the error.

I don’t expect to have time to write an all encompassing function to find any leading character that could cause an error in Excel, but this one change should fix your problem.

If you could provide some additional insight as to your configuration, version of OS, BusObj, etc., that might help. Generally speaking, I know it works with Excel 2003, so I don’t have a ready explanation for this error. It’s been reported before, but rarely. I suspect something quirky related to the BusObj client tools installation, but I can’t duplicate it myself.

Dwayne,

This tool looks like exactly what I need to document some XI universes. I am running into a “buffer overflow” issue when I run the tool. Any thoughts on how I might be able to get this to work?

jm21265 (BOB member since 2009-03-24)

hi Dwayne,

I’m having this 430 error too (Class doest not support automation or doest not support expected interface).
Well not me, but i’ve passed the file to someone that uses the same version as me (BO 6.5.1 and Excel 11).
His BO library is checked (in Tools-> References) but he still gets the 430 error (and i don’t). Go figure…

Any idea of how to get ride of that 430 error?

ceka (BOB member since 2009-02-23)

Try some standard debugging techniques. Step through the code to find the exact universe object causing the problem. Try on a different workstation.

:+1:
Thank you thank you! Just perfect!
It had to be run on the server that has BO installed.
After that is was straight forward, just like you explained!

Sevenup (BOB member since 2008-11-25)