One of the task we have to run after the migration is to rethink about the current categories. The migration script have just copied the previous organization coming from phpBB2, but I think it is not optimal:
- Discourse doesn’t recommend to have more than a 2-level hierarchy (we have 3 levels)
- The content is better shown (especially on mobile) if there is only a 1-level hierarchy (see below screenshot) as the last topics are shown
- Discourse is providing a powerful tag feature that can replace sub or sub-sub categories,
So I am suggesting to setup the following categories:
- General Discussion - BOBJ Reports - BOBJ Semantic Layer - BOBJ Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades - BOBJ Enterprise Scheduling and Distribution - BOBJ Security and User Administration - BOBJ Other Products - BOBJ SDK - SAP DataServices (to replace DataIntegrator) - SAP Analytics Cloud - BOB's Downloads - Regional User Groups and Conferences - About BOB
And additionally setup dedicated tags to replace all the other existing sub-categories. There is some nice feature to require a tag when someone create a topic in a specific category.
Waiting for your feedback !
- Switch to 1-level categories and tags
- Keep the actual category hierarchy
- Other idea ? Comment below !