BusinessObjects Board

Any problems with 5.1.9/2.7.5?

Hello-
Is there any reason not to upgrade to 5.1.9/2.7.5?

We are currently running 5.1.6/2.7.2 and are in the process of moving to a new server. We have bumped into the problem on the new server described in the May 2005 postings here with a DA0004 error from ZABO after retrieving from Corporate Docs.

It seems we would be better off upgrading to the latest 5.1.x version rather than trying to fix this problem (which for some reason we do not have on our current 5.1.6/2.7.2 installation in production).

Our repository and data are both in Sybase 12.5, with Open Client 12.5 on the WebI server. Our users have 5.1.6 ZABO installed from WebI.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

kgriffin60637 :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-24)

hello and welcome to B :mrgreen: B

A good reason to migrate to 519/275 could that it is the last 5.x release so we can hope, the most reliable and with less bug (I have well write “hope”)

It’s also the 5.x BO release which will have the most extend support in the futur. Check the BusinessObjects techsupport website to see until which time this last release will be supported. It depends if you wan to pass to 6x/XIR2 quicly or use your 5.x platform as long as possible.

check also in the readme files of the 519/275 packages corrected bugs or other bew stuf to know if it is a good thing to go there

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Thank you for the advice. We were finally able to access the electronic download yesterday (there was a glitch in our account setup), so I was able to access the Readme file.

In the big picture, we are debating whether to stay at 5.1.x as long as possible or whether to upgrade to 6.5.x. We’re planning to put off the move to XIR2 as long as possible.

We have a full-client 6.5.2 test environment set up, and we have run into problems getting integrity check to complete in Designer. Until we get a resolution from BO tech support on that issue, 6.5 isn’t an option at all.

I’d love to hear from others about their experience with 5.1.9/2.7.5 and/or 6.5.x, especially with a Sybase 12.5 repository and data warehouse. It seems to me that Sybase presents wrinkles that others don’t bump up against.

We’re running 5.1.9/2.7.5 against Sybase successfully.

The only problem that we have is with our ZABO users – they no longer get back a database error message (for example, if they request too many items in a GROUP BY clause). BusinessObjects promised us a patch, gave us one in April that won’t install on our server (they confirmed that it won’t install in a similar server set up), and have promised us a replacement patch that will install. We just haven’t gotten it yet.

Other folks had submitted posts in the past (I can’t find them now) with problems using 6.5 and 6.5.1 with Sybase that seemed to be show-stoppers for us. When 6.5.2 came out, it didn’t sound like those bugs had been resolved, so I can’t confirm. We’re migrating to Oracle, so we’ll probably wait to go to 6.5.x then. Like you, we’d like to put off migrating to XI as long as possible.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks, Anita. I’m relieved to hear that 5.1.9/2.7.5 are running smoothly in a Sybase environment (apart from the ZABO glitch, which I’m sure we will encounter, too). We are just this week in the midst of transitioning users to a new server that is running 5.1.9/2.7.5. Some ZABO users have been unable to successfully upgrade over the web (they receive an error “unable to download .rss file from the Zero Admin server”). Uninstalling and re-installing solves the problem, and since we’re crunched for time I haven’t been able to research it further. We suspect possibly the AllowBO…exe file was never run when BO was first installed on their machine, so the stage was not set for someone with user rights to successfully perform the upgrade.

What I’m really interested in hearing more about now is your migration to Oracle - there is a movement afoot here to do the same, and we are in the throes of figuring out a ballpark estimate for how long it will take. Any information you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your reply.

That’s the error you get when you try to connect with an old installation to the new installation. I’m surprised you say that only “some” of your ZABO users see this.

There was a significant change in ZABO (to speed it up) around version 5.1.7/2.7.3, and if you’re upgrading from anything pre-5.1.7 to anything post-5.1.7, you have to visit the WebI server and get upgraded. The old version just can’t communicate with the new version – the change was tha significant.

You shouldn’t have to deinstall, though. Just visit the WebI server, make sure your setting for creating documents is set to BusObj (and saved), and try to create a new document. The upgrade installer should launch.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

we moved from 5.1.8 to 5.1.9 and have found a number of bugs in the proceedings one or two of which are still outstanding… it has been the more frustrating of any upgrades that we have done by far… :hb:

Fraz :uk: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)