BusinessObjects Board

Zip codes in Lumira discovery 2.0

Hello All,

I am in middle evaluation phase of Lumira discovery 2.0. One thing I noticed in Lumira geomaps it doesnt recognize zip codes.

I did some research online found that indeed lumira 2.0 doesnt recognize zip codes. Lowest grain is city.

Anyway I found this Extension you could download is Galigeo. It does the job pretty good. Quote we got from the vendor was very expensive.

Does anyone of you folks have a better way to do this? like I saw another blog you can create your own API.
do anyone of use different extension other than Galigeo? might be bit cheaper?

thoughts?

I appreciate your input.

arjunanand :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-30)

Ive done the same with Galigeo, its quite nice but not cheap!

There is kind of a way, however, it`s tricky.

Essentially you would have to have a database of zip codes mapped to longitude\latitude co-ords. Now Im guessing a ZIP code, like a postcode in the UK isnt a single point (its probably more of a vector or polygon in GIS speak) so your Long\Lat would likely have to be the central point of that vector or polygon. I have the data for UK postcodes (theres about 1 million with history!) but not ZIP codes.

Bear in mind that postal codes \ zip codes etc can often be a large dataset which is why a lot of tools don`t support them out the box, plus they work differently in different countries.

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)