BusinessObjects Board

XI R2 clustering

I must install BOXIR2 in two clustering servers to provide “fault - tolerance”, i.e. if the first one crashes the second one automatically starts. I don’t want to provide load - balacing functionality.
I installed everything in S1 (Windows). The database for CMS is Oracle and the schema in oracle is named “boxi”. Cluster name is the same of the server name (S1)
Now i installed BOXIR2 in another Windows server called S2. In the installation wizard on question “Installation type” I have to choose one the following choice

1. New
  2. extend
  3. custom
    I chose “ extend”).
    I chose the name of the CMS in S2 the same one of the CMS name (S1). Then I installed all server (cache server, job server,…) and then I installed WCA (Tomcat) in S2.
    I tried to rename the cluster . I stopped the S1, and in tab Configuration – specify button – I wrote the new cluster name “myCluster”.
    When I started the CMS, the name is notchanged.
    Then I verified: S1 and S2 are started
    When i used “S1:6400 …” in system name I opened infoview and when I used “S2:6400 …” in system name I opened infoview.
    Then I tried to stop s1 and the servers didn’t switched but they stopped.
    In This situation When i used “S1:6400 …” in system name I didn’t open infoview and when I used “S2:6400 …” in system name I opened infoview.
    Then I tried to stop S2 and to start S1
    In This situation When i used “S1:6400 …” in system name I didn’t open infoview and when I used “S2:6400 …” in system name I opened infoview

I want that system name is the same (ever) and because the user don’t know the server started or stopped.
Can The windows cluster be useful? Wich parameters must I change?

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks

ettore (BOB member since 2006-12-11)

I’ll try to do it…

I don’t success do to it !

Some one have a solution ?

Thx for your help
Nicolas

nicolasD :fr: (BOB member since 2004-07-22)

I did try Windows Clustering at one point but gave it up for various reasons.
I guess you need to determine the Fail Over type - Extending specific service, by adding additional modules is not only used for Load Balancing - this also provides a fail over option and you can get adjust the settings to limit processing on the extensions so that they’re mainly there for fail over purposes.
You obviously don’t want to replicate everything - but take care how you handle the CMS and Input / Output services etc.

I have created an Active - Passive node setup - 2 separate servers / sharing the same CMS - with no Load Balancing, using a Perl script to activate the Passive node if the current Active node fails.
This was faclitated via a Cisco Router so as not to confuse the user.

I will see if I can upload a diagram that I have that shows how it’s enabled.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)