BusinessObjects Board

Xcelsius embedded in Crystal reports

Hi, I started working with xcelsius recently and have a quick question if this is possible.

I would like to have xcelsius (version 12.5.0.1388) swf files embeded in my Crystal Reports 2008 SP3. This is the flow I am building on:

SQL Server -> Universe -> Webi (Published blocks - BIWS) -> Xcelsius (QaaWs) -> Crystal Reports 2008.
I have the report working partially the way I want. The reason why I say partially is due to fact that the report does display the swf components in the report but, what I would like to do is have crystal report parameters pass the values to the SWF components.
I have read some articles on opendoc and flash variables but that didn’t work for me.

Is this possible, if not what flow should I follow? Once I have this working I would have these reports scheduled to run on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance.

khawer (BOB member since 2007-11-04)

It should definetly be do able. Here something to get you started;

All of this can be done with webi/xcelsius so I’m certain it can be done with crystal/xcelsius since they were developed under the same platform. And there’s ton of information out there for this requirement. I would first make sure you can have all your paramters passing to the CR before trying to embedd it into the CR. Also search for FlashVar seperatley.

katullus :us: (BOB member since 2009-08-21)

I got the Crystal to communicate with Xcelsius using flash variables. The only thing is when the the parameter is passed to Xcelsius it displays correctly in the SWF embeded component, How do you filter xelsius reults based on crystal parameter value?

Lets say Crystal has a prompt called “Country” and Canada is entered. The SWF component picks up the value and displays in the list box. The thing is Xcelsius is getting a list of values from universe->webi (published block).

Webi published block:
-Country-
Canada
USA
Germany
France
UK

Xcelsius sources from this webi block above and displays in cells A1:A5. A Flash variable (&lsSCountry=B2)is created to capture the input from crystal parameter “Country”.

How do I say in Xcelsius when value of cell B2 changes update the resultset.

I have tried excel formulas but ROWS() function cannot be exported to SWF and also VBA function which cannot be exported either.

The whole purpose of passing values from Crystal side is so we can have the report scheduled daily to output to PDF format for each Country.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Khawer

I wouldn’t use Webi as the data source - since the flash is embedded in Crystal, I would query for the data in Crystal and use flash variables to send the data to Xcelsius.

If you have access to Facebook, I wrote a note on the SAP Crystal Reports and Dasboard Design page that explains how to do this:

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

hello Experts,

I need to embed the Xcelsius chart into Crystal report. I have search a lot but coudnt get any proper link.

Currently I have 2 Crystal report, just say Parent and Child. We have a link from Parent which passes 2 parameter from Parent to Child Crystal report. The child Crystal is having a chart which I need to change with Xcelsius chart.
Below is the procedure which I did till now.

1. Export the data in xls format from Child report and use this xls in Xcelsius file.
  2. I have created 2 flash variable (same text which we have for child crystal report) and bind these to some cell as B1 and B2.
  3. Now generated SWF file.
  4. Embeded this SWF file in Child Crystal Report and assign the same parameter which we have for child and created in xcelsius.
  5. Now when refresh the Child report and SWF just loads the same data from which I have generated this SWF, doesnt get the new data which we have in Crystal Report.

:hb:

Please suggest what/where I should change to make it work.

vijesh.chandra :india: (BOB member since 2009-05-29)

I do not think Crystal Reports 2008 supports .swf and flash variable natively. I believe that was introduced in a later version (I do not remember what version).

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

Somehow I succeed to embed the Xcelsius Chart (SWF) into Crystal Report and it is working fine.
Thanks

Actually, from Crystal 2008 on, .swf files and flash variables are supported. You could also use them in XI, but you had to code the xml yourself. In 2008 the “helper” functions ToXMLColumn, ToXMLRow, and ToXMLData were added to assist with this.

-Dell

Could you please share any example with use of these functions mentioned by you?

Go to www.dellstinnett.com/sample_code.html. Scroll down and find " Integrating SAP Dashboards into SAP Crystal Reports presentation from 2012 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference". Just below that is a download that includes the sample reports from the presentation - look at “Table.rpt” in that file to see how the functions are used.

-Dell

P.S.
Please let me know if the zip file with the samples has issues so that I can update it. I’m having issues downloading it onto my work laptop, but that may be because of security limitations from my employer.

Dell: FYI, the link you posted picks up the trailing period and will not work.

http://www.dellstinnett.com/sample_code.html will work.

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

Hi,

I downloaded the file containing the sample .rpt and .xlf files but I’m having trouble opening the .zip file. I’m getting this error: The Compressed (zipped) Folder ‘C:\SBOUC2012Samples.zip’ is invalid.

Am I missing a trick somewhere?

No, I guess the file has been corrupted. I’ve tried uploading it again after re-zipping it to make a “good” file, but it still has the same issues.

Unfortunately, the full report file with the embedded flash is too big to upload here. So, I’ve taken the flash image out of the .rpt, but kept the stuff that uses the helper functions. I’ve also included the .xlf file that has the visualization. Hopefully this will attach correctly.

-Dell
Table Report.zip (30.0 KB)

Thanks a lot Dell.
It is working for me now.

Hello Experts,

Our customer raised 2 issues with Embedded SWF in Crystal.

1. When the user changed the ZOOM level in Crystal Report for ex 100% to 75%, the SWF loads again i.e. it get refresh automatically hence all the selections in Xcelsius wife off. Is there any way so it cant get refresh while changing the ZOOM.

2. They are not able to see the whole Xcelsius Crystal report at glance. They are getting a vertical scroll bar in IE but it also doesn’t help to go down hence they are not able to see the whole page.

How can we get rid of these 2. Please help.

1. This is the way it works - there is no way around it.

2. Scale down the Xcelsius visualization so that it will fit in a web page. Modify to use multiple tabs if you need to.

-Dell

Hello Dell,

Thanks a lot for prompt reply.

#2 - I have checked on some other PC’s, and we can see the whole Xcelsius Crystal Report at glance but some of the PCs are having the issue with scroll bar and seems like the font size is also big.
Is there any specific reason?

It could be the screen resolution or the zoom level if you’re viewing through a web browser. In any case, it’s something specific to the individual user’s computer.

-Dell

Hello Dell,

Thanks for reply.

Somehow we managed to fix it. It has something to do IE javascript issue
when opening popup windows.