BusinessObjects Board

Wiki / Blogs?

Any news on adding a wiki or blogs to BOB?

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

We got far enough to install a copy of Joomla, a content management system that integrates with phpBB. It offers a variety of features that could include wikis and/or blogs. One question that I would have is, what level of interest is there in adding these features, and who will help monitor and maintain them?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,

I’d be interested in adding content.

I don’t have any experience with Joomla, but I’d be willing to learn and do what I can to help maintain it.

Joe

One of the reasons nothing has been done here could be the potential duplication of effort. SCN has wikis and blogs already. ASUG has both wikis and blogs as well. SCN and ASUG both have discussion forums, but BOB has been around longer and still seems to be a popular destination. The question is whether that popularity would extend to wikis and/or blogs, or would people simple gravitate to what is already in place?

It’s also very easy to set up a personal blog on any of a number of free blogging platforms; you don’t even have to pay for hosting. For example, Michael Welter has a blog at http://michaelwelter.wordpress.com/ which is hosted by Wordpress. Dallas Marks started out on blogspot (I think) and now has his own domain. Do we really need a blogging platform here?

Or should we just create a feed / forum like we’ve done for ASUGNews.com, so that blog posts from elsewhere get visibility here? That would be easy enough to do. We could set up a nomination / review process so that we get good quality blogs, and then we can have them monitored here on BOB without setting up a specific blogging platform.

Any thoughts?

One problem with the current set of blogs/forums/wikis is finding quality material. If there was a way for BOB to link to quality content or even have a list of links to all the various content areas so that they can be searched including SCN, wordpress, blogspot, sap.com, ASUG, whitepaper sites, etc, it would be easier to find answers. Everyone appears to have multiple places to search for answers to their questions. It would be nice if there was a way to have links to all those places in one location.

I miss the days when I only had to search B:mrgreen:B and maybe one or 2 other places to find all my answers. Is there a way to use forum voting to allow the users to determine

Steve Rademacher :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-17)

Dave, my personal impression is that both SCN and ASUG are primarily geared towards non-BO SAP stuff (there are a ton of BO-related blogs on SCN, but the navigation makes them hard to find; and I couldn’t find a wiki page on ASUG). I think BOB’s focus on the BO suite would produce more usable content.

Joe

I just realized that I missed a few words when I hit submit. What I was trying to say with that sentence was:

Is there a way to use forum voting to allow the forum users to determine quality content on any links to remote content?

Steve Rademacher :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-17)

I am sure we could come up with something. Let me think for a few days and I’ll come back with some ideas next week.