BusinessObjects Board

Which contexts include a join?

Hi,

maybe a quite simple question, but I could not find an answer here.

How to detect where (in which contextes) a join is used?
Analysing of contextes one by one is very time consuming, because there are too many in my case.

The same question regarding usage of a table in contextes…

More general question: is there a way to document all contextes in an universe? I mean the list of included tables and joins per context - ideally as export to a relational database

fel (BOB member since 2008-10-21)

Please add some text in a subject.

What tool do you use? IDT or UDT?

Marfi :poland: (BOB member since 2006-12-18)

Yes, sorry, without a subject this topic is looking not good :oops:

I’m using universe design tool, BO 4.

You can export to PDF. If you have software capable of reading PDF data you could then load into a database.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hi,

UDT still have the Designer SDK available so it should be possible to extract universe metadata programatically.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

PDF export doesn’t contain contexts details. Just listing, no joins or tables included

I think that would be too much effort in my case :frowning:

Is there a suitable excel or something else in the download subforum?
I could not find anything…

Maybe such kind of metadata is saved somewhere in the BO repository?

You can try one of the utilities that can document BOBJ universes:

I haven’t used them for some time so I don’t remember what information related to contexts the utilities can extract. But give the utilities a try.

No, it’s not.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

When you are in Designer, make sure you have List Mode invoked. The list mode includes three parts: tables, joins, and contexts. On the small border between those windows are two triangle icons, each pointing a different way.

Assume you want to see all joins associated with a table. First click on the table on the first window, then click on the triangle pointing to the list of joins. The join list will be filtered to the list of joins attached to that table.

Suppose you want to see which contexts a join is in. Make sure your prior selection is cleared, then select the join in question and click on the triangle pointing to the list of contexts. Sometimes this is a bit wonky :slight_smile: but if it works it will filter the list of contexts to those that include the selected join.

It works the other way as well; you can select a context and click the triangle icon pointing to the list of joins to get a list of joins within that context.

I do not know of an equivalent feature like this in IDT.

Alternatively, my “Universe Compare Tool” available on my blog will detail all of the joins collected in a context. If you run the tool and compare a universe to itself there will be no changes detected, but on the various tabs in the XLS you will find a list of contexts as well as a list of joins included within a context.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Dave, thanks a lot :yesnod:
Very helpful and enough for my purposes. I could not get your “Universe Compare Tool” running (some kind of library problems), but with filtering by triangles I can analyze my joins really fast.

Thanks!