BusinessObjects Board

Where's the beef?

I’m a SysAdmin with no BO experience, but was handed this project to take for action.

When I log into OpenView, I don’t see much of anything. I’m not even prompted to log in… I don’t see a place to upload documents or anything.

How do I configure this?

harrodcd (BOB member since 2005-10-12)

Business Objects documents are typically “uploaded”/published to the repository using the application “Business Objects Reporter”.

Or you will have to login to WebIntelligence (not OpenView?) and depending on your rights (assigned via Business Objects Supervisor) you will be able to create/edit documents, see Corporate Documents, etc.

You might not have to sign in, because whoever installed Business Objects in the first place migth have configured it to use Windows NT Authentication, which should be written up in some documentation hopefully.

If you have been thrown into such a project without any experience or training with Business Objects I honestly wish you good luck.

P.S.:
You might consider a more meaningful topic title…

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

But the topic-starter did find the B :mrgreen: B forum…
and that is a good way to start!

Tiny :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-11-10)

Thanks for the quick reply =]

It’s hard finding any documentation or training manuals on 5.6.1

This is what I do know.

A 4.x version is installed somewhere on the network and is currently in use.

I was tasked to get 5.6.1 working on a separate server, but connect it to the same database. Then get the “client” on a separate machine to talk to the server. That took me awhile to figure out I had to copy the bomain.key file to LocData to get the universes to populate my list on the client, as I don’t have any documentation.

So this entire task has been confusing.

Now I’m attempting to use Supervisor to configure users – which I hope will fix the web-based portion of this program.

Have you considered reading the manuals? The PDFs are pretty informative. Also you could buy a book. Business Objects, the Complete Reference by Cindi Howson is pretty good.

You can’t expect us to teach you the product. By the way there is not 5.6.1 version. It’s 5.1.6.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I don’t expect anyone to teach me… I’m my own teacher.

I’m just looking for a reference =] I find the enclosed PDFs pretty confusing from my point of view.

I appreciate the second post in this thread, as it didn’t teach me… but gave me something to look at and figure out.

Edit: I was just given a CD with 111MB of PDF files on this, so I’ll probably stop bugging you.

Also, we have a contract with BO to get the XI version, so I better start spinning up on that.

The beef is still on the cow…LOL

This is not as easy as installing Antivirus.

You probably want to get someone in from BO to discuss a little about you company environment and how best to configure it to you the company.

A variety of skills is required too:

TomcatApache/IIS
Distributed/Monolithic Architecture
Full Client only/WEBI/ZABO/MIXED

Repository Databases
Datasources

You will want to discuss the Advantages/Disadvantages of the above mentioned as well.

Regards

laughandcry :singapore: (BOB member since 2005-10-17)

Get started on the deployment guide. In version 6.x this guide has detailed discussions on architecture and variuos components. I assume that would be the case in 5.x as well.

shamit (BOB member since 2004-07-01)