BusinessObjects Board

What platform is best to host 4.2 SP9

Which platform is best to host SAP BI 4.2 SP9? Is it wise to host this on the cloud (e.g. Azure OS) or is it better to do a traditional client/server setup with Windows Server/LINUX/UNIX?

Any insight on this would be splendid!

There isn’t, unfortunately, a singular answer to this.

Turn it around a bit - what is your organisation’s reporting requirement/expectation?
Where is your data warehouse, is it cloud-based or on prem?
Does your company have an intention to move to the cloud any time soon if they’re not already there?

Then, what capabilities do you already have in house - do you have cloud tech people or on prem people and again, what’s the intention/appetite for cloud versus staying on prem for longer?

Don’t forget, this is about what’s right for your organisation (which can vary based on size, risk appetite, existing tech platform and so on).

1 Like

This article describes what I am discussing. Is this available for 4.2?

Thanks for the clarification. With other SaaS offerings I’ve looked at (SQL Server, etc.) you generally have to go on to their latest stable version (helps them reduce their costs of maintenance and support - support staff only need to know the latest version). I can’t imagine them offering you 4.2, but there’s definitely a possibility that you can speak to your account manager about the migration. What concerns do you have about moving to 4.3 rather than staying on 4.2SP9?

It’s just the version that my customer is using. Here is another article describing what I am interested in learning more about:

Does this work with 4.2?

I don’t know to be honest. You’ll probably need to either contact a SAP account manager, arrange a meeting with your customer’s account manager to get them to explain it to you and them or do a lot of trawling through the SAP website to find the appropriate product matrix.