BusinessObjects Board

WebIntelligence Administrative Console not working

Hi all.
Have just completed the installation and setup of a test Business Objects environment consisting of Business Objects 5.1.4/WebIntelligence 2.7.

Everything is currently working fine except I cannot get the WebIntelligence Administrative Console running on the test server.
I can however, run the Administrative Console for my test environment, from the live server.

The Login window appears but once I press the login button (with correct details or not) the page/application freezes.

I believe it is a Java related error causing this problem.
I have checked the PATH Environment Variable which looks fine.
There is no CLASSPATH variable availabe in my SET command.

I have tried many different versions of Java, ranging from 1.3.1 - 1.5.0 and none has worked yet.

The error message that constantly appears in the Java console window is:

at bo.wi.adm.Frontal.corbaInit(
at bo.wi.adm.Frontal.performCommand(
at netscape.application.TextField.sendCommand(
at netscape.application.TextField._keyDown(
at netscape.application.TextField.keyDown(
at bo.wi.adm.PasswordField.keyDown(
at netscape.application.RootView._keyDown(
at netscape.application.RootView.processEvent(
at netscape.application.EventLoop.processEvent(
at Source)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

veybo :australia: (BOB member since 2006-08-22)

I can’t remember the details – but I believe that when our server went behind a firewall, they had to add specific firewall rules to allow the admin traffic in. I’m sorry, but I don’t remember what port(s) were involved.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately the server is not behind a firewall.

Anybody else have any other suggestions that I can try at all?

veybo :australia: (BOB member since 2006-08-22)

I have found a solution to my problem.
I couldn’t get any versions of Java to successfully run the Administrative Console so I started comparing browser settings between the working live system and the test system I am creating.

I noticed in the live system that under “Internet Options” -> “Advanced” there was a section for “Microsoft VM” that I couldn’t locate on my test server.
Microsoft VM is no longer distributed with Internet Explorer anymore.

After searching on the net I eventually found an executable to install Microsoft VM on my test server and now the Administrative Console is working fine.

veybo :australia: (BOB member since 2006-08-22)

I had similar situation with BOE115, I removed .net framework and let the
BO install it during the install. It works !

Suma9898 (BOB member since 2006-08-30)


I think you may restart your Web server :idea:


bogdan agape :fr: (BOB member since 2004-09-08)