BusinessObjects Board

WebI on BI platform CMS system database.unx Refresh Issue

For BI 4.2sp4

I have a Web Intelligence report that is written against the BI platform CMS system database.unx universe that is provided by SAP for reporting against the Repository database.

A member of the Administrator’s group can run the report with issues. The user’s however cannot. When they try to refresh the data in the report, the get “No data to retrieve in Query 1”

The users are granted the following rights:
Universe:

General.General.View objects = Granted
System.Universe (information design tool).View objects = Granted
System.Universe (information design tool).Data access = Graneted
System.Universe (information design tool).Create and edit queries based on the universe = granted

Connections:

System.Relational Connection.Data Access = Granted
System.Relational Connection.Use connection for Store Procedures = Granted

Report:

General.General.View document instances = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Export the report's data = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Use Lists of Values = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Save as Excel or Text = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Save as CSV = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Save as PDF = Granted
Content.Web Intelligence.Refresh the report's data = Granted

Web Intelligence Application:

Application.Web Intelligence.Data - enable data tracking = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Data - enable formatting of changed data = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Interfaces - enable Rich Internet Application = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Interfaces - enable web viewing interface = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Left pane - enable document structure and filters = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Left pane - enable document summary = Granted
General.General.Log on to Web Intelligence = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Query script - enable viewing (SQL, MDX...) = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - created and edit breaks = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - create and edit conditional formatting rules = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - create and edit input controls = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - create and edit report filters and consume input controls = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - create and edit sorts = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - enable formatting = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - enable merged dimensions = Granted
Application.Web Intelligence.Reporting - insert and remove reports, tables, charts, and cells = Granted

I’m stumped. What am I missing here?

I believe the CMS universe uses passthrough authentication, meaning that the end-user’s credentials are used to connect to the CMS when the query is executed. So, the end users will need at least view access to the content being retrieved in the report.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Well, that’s a bummer, but it certainly makes sense.

So I tested your belief and it passed through the fire.
The report in question prompts for a universe name and then returns the reports that use that universe along with some other information about the reports. When I used a universe name that my test user had access, the report returned a list of reports that use that universe. When I used a universe name that the test user didn’t have access, the report did not return any data. Thus, your belief is confirmed.

Congratulations. You can go home now. :smiley:

Edit:
I did additional testing and the user running the report must have access to both the universe and the reports. This becomes problematic for non-administrator users and access to individual users Personal Folder and Inbox. So much for letting the user’s run the report themselves. :frowning:

Joke’s on you – I’m already home :slight_smile:

In the connection for the BI platform CMS system database, you can set it to use an Enterprise ID and password instead of System Token. So, if you use a user who is in Administrators, then all users should be able to retrieve all data in the universe.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I tested changing the login and you are correct. An Enterprise ID that is a member of the Administrators group can run the report.

I don’t really want to set up another log in that is a member of the Administrators group though and just view access to the content doesn’t work. Not being sure what other permissions may be needed and not having time to experiment, I think I’m just going to leave it at System Token for now. I don’t expect the usage of this report to be that frequent that our Administrators can’t run it for the users when they need it.