BusinessObjects Board

Webi HTML vs. Java Applet

Does anyone know if there is a document for XI 4.1 or XI 4.0 explaining detailed differences between WebI HTML vs. Java download applet?

Thanks in advance

icotler :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

I don’t believe so. I think it something you will have to work out for yourself. What is behind the question?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

None that I’m aware of. It’s a shame the HTML is such a lightweight compared to JAVA though as it more stable IMO.

HTML Query Panel
Doesn’t provide subqueries
Conditions only accept US date formats, which is fine if you use US dates. Otherwise it’s rubbish.

HTML Webi
Alerts, or conditional formatting isn’t available.
Document linking is easier, such that you can select reports.

These are the main ones that annoy me the most, there are probably others and no doubt a thread discussing it fully.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

HTML panel drawback:
Cannot create queries directly against Bex queries (via BICS) :frowning:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

One more limitiation on queries: Can’t change a query from one universe to another.

Formatting options are limited. For example ‘0.00%’ is the only percentage format available.

Help pages for functions used in creating variables also not available.

Tom Thompson :us: (BOB member since 2003-06-04)

Thanks. I need to give high level overview of the differences to the client.

icotler :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

Some more differences

When in query panel, you cannot change from “Master Perspective” to “Display by Navigation Paths” in the applet mode but you can in HTML mode.

You cannot create new conditions for conditional formatting in HTML mode but you can in Applet mode

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

We are facing the same issue with BO4.1 SP1. Does anyone know of a cause and solution for this?

For us this happens only for new documents, that is that have never been viewed, and therefore do not seem to be aware of the browser locale!
A workaround is therefore to Close the Query panel (“Apply changes and close”), optionally checking that the document’s properties show the correct locale, opening up Query panel again, after which the date can be dragged into the Query filter.

bjornhb :iceland: (BOB member since 2012-02-03)

I don’t truly understand the cause, but the solution is to pack up and move to the USA.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

Hi Dessa, Did you ever get anywhere with that dates thing? Or could you never get a green card?

Damocles :uk: (BOB member since 2006-10-05)

just found this document listing some differences:
http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2014/04/27/web-intelligence-41-sp3-applet-java-vs-html

Miss Universe :de: (BOB member since 2010-02-16)

We are running 4.0 and having some issues with the Java portion of the rich application. Our company had been using IE 9, and it would not work with the latest Java versions. We just jumped to IE 11, and now it only works with the latest Java version only.

There is also what I call a “rich client” version available in the BI Client Platform Tools folder, if that has been installed locally on your pc. That version is almost identical to the one in Launchpad, except it does not require Java. It can be ran out of Launchpad (if you change your preferences as shown below), or it can be launched by itself.

In discussing these versions with a consultant, he told me the following to clarify things. In Launchpad, under ‘Preferences’, ‘Web Intelligence’, you can set the View and Modify options to ‘Web’, ‘Rich Internet Application’ and ‘Desktop’.

Web - is the HTML version. I prefer this one, but it does have limitations.

Rich Internet Application - More powerful, but requires Java.

Desktop (what I call Rich Client) - I believe provides the same functionality as the Rich Internet Application. It does not require Java, BUT it must be installed on the client machine, and it opens in it’s own window because it’s not HTML based.

Hopefully this is helpful information.

JSW (BOB member since 2013-01-15)

I’m going to pile onto this post.

Since there has been a lot of work by Business Objects to bring the HTML editor into parity with the Java Editor since 2014, does anyone know of an update to the differences between the Java Editor and the HTML editor? I would think this would be helpful to users who are upgrading to BI4.3 where the Java editor is no longer available and may be what they are used to using. They may have some trouble finding things in the HTML editor.