BusinessObjects Board

Webi Error handling

Hi all, I have a Webi report that understandably fundamentally fails when the underlying database access is temporarily removed, for database updating. (an hour or so, varying around the middle of each day). The report does not run at all, and completely fails with a technical database error pop up message. (As expected).

Is there any method/process of handling this error ‘within Webi’. Ideal result being upon a database fail, a message of my choice comes up on the report screen advising the user to try again later as the database is being updated – rather than the system generated ‘technical’ database error message that doesn’t assist non-technical users.

Or is it possible to make the actual report query dependent on, for example, a separate ‘intra report’ query that first checks a database status table (held separately to the reporting database) ? If so, how would I code that up, preferably using standard Webi features and not SDK ?

Or maybe some how a 2 report solution, whereby first report checks a separate database status table and if it’s online then only then runs the second actual report, within the first… though again not sure how to set that up,… just brainstorming ideas.

Alternatively, maybe the report can be greyed out (inaccessible) when the underlying DB is offline ? Again, I don’t know how to do this and don’t use SDK.

Please note:

• The database update times can not be changed to out of hours.
  • DB Views, flip flopping one day to the next over alternate DB tables is not an option.
  • Maintaining DB access using uncommitted database reads is not an option.
  • Scheduling with event triggers is an option, but far from ideal.
  • Further user education is an option.
    So, I am very keen to achieve this error handling result within BO Webi.

Currently on BO v4.2 SP9. Moving to v4.3 soon.

Thanks for any assistance.

I am aware just of the Notification during scheduling if failed. and there is also possibility of retry/rerun with number of attempts and delay between the attempts.

Thanks for the comment, however this issue is unrelated to scheduling and retrys, but to do with the Webi report handling the database error with ‘intra report’ messaging, and not BO server messaging, regardless of whether it was ran real time or scheduled.